Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slope Analysis in Civil 3D 2013

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
4dawgfans
12587 Views, 17 Replies

Slope Analysis in Civil 3D 2013

Has anyone succesfully produced a slope analysis exhibit using LIDAR topographic base information with this version of Civil 3D? I have followed the instructions as best I can and have had no luck. I am using a trial version and this is a big factor in whether or not I will ultimately make the purchase. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Sinc
in reply to: 4dawgfans

I suppose the big question is exactly what you mean by "slope analysis"...

If you're talking about "slope arrows", then yes, C3D has always had this problem, as it insists upon inserting one arrow for every TIN triangle.  And this can create an absolute mess, if you're using LIDAR data to create a drawing, since LIDAR will tend to produce an incredibly large number of triangles, even when using the "Point File" option in C3D to create the surface.

Personally, I haven't found C3D very good at processing LIDAR data.  We use Trimble equipment, and have found Trimble Real Works to do a much better job of letting us prune down point clouds to a reasonable level, which we can then use to create surfaces in C3D.  The C3D Point Cloud tools have left us very frustrated, with nowhere near as much control.

But even if we use TRW to prune the data, we still end up with a lot of triangles.  And when C3D wants to put an arrow on every single triangle, we still get into a mess.

So not sure if I can give you any guidance....  Just commiseration, since we've encountered the same mess.

It's not so bad if you want to setup more of an "elevation" display, where various color gradients show the slope.  But the arrows are definitely a problem....

Sinc
Message 3 of 18
4dawgfans

Thank you for responding! The product I am looking for is a shaded/colored pattern of slope gradients.....

0-5%

5%-10%

etc.

The LIDAR topo already has contour lines generated. The source is not a series of point data. Does this provide a better description of the product I seek? There is a small example attached.

Message 4 of 18
Sinc

Sounds like you're looking for a Slope display

You would need to generate a Civil 3D Surface, and apply a Slope Display to it (enabled in the Surface Style).  Then create a Surface Table that displays the Slopes.

You MAY also need to make sure you go into the Surface Properties, and create the correct ranges, as indicated below (remember to hit the downward-pointed arrow once you have the values set, to create the ranges).

Slopes.png

Sinc
Message 5 of 18
kepano530
in reply to: Sinc

Sorry to jump in like this but I'm having an issue with being unable to adjust the ranges in my slope analysis. Everytime I try to update it just flashes by and doesn't update them. the most I can get is 2 ranges. please enlighten me. thanks

Message 6 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: kepano530

Post your drawing

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 18
kepano530
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Ok I've posted the drawing. Thanks

Stephen Ennis Civil 3D 2013
Dell T1650 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31225 @ 3.20 GHz
8 GB Ram

Win 7 Pro 64-bit OS

Message 8 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Something wrong in the drawing. I tried making an arbitrary surface and it does the same thing.

I see you data was contours. I would try again in a clean drawing and rebuild the surface. Use Map clean on the plines before adding to the surface
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 18
jkier

Looks like you have the set the surface display to slopes them modify the slopes display definition, then you can add ranges

Just realized your in 13, this was done in 14 not sure if it'll work for you

Message 10 of 18
kepano530
in reply to: jkier

Thanks Jkier for the reply. What I did was change the range precision and I got it to take. However I don't know how to change the colors in the table.

It doesn't match the surface. Any suggestions?

Message 11 of 18
jkier

In the slope style definition try changing the scheme, in my second attachment I have it set to hydro

Message 12 of 18
kepano530
in reply to: jkier

Yes that works as designed. However, it can't change an individual range or isolate a range display. Unless I'm missing something this is a feature that is sorely missed that was available in LDD. I'll keep digging until I find some feature that is more user friendly. Thanks

Message 13 of 18
Joe-Bouza

It works fine. Your surface style had some unusual setting for slopes. I reset them to an OOTB setting and the slopes populate on the analysis tab as expected. To change the color simply click one in the analysis tab to select the desired color.

I attached your file to compare

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 14 of 18
kepano530

Thanks for looking at this Joe. I figured out what the issue was however it still won't change color schemes. There must be something in the drawing that is preventing that. I'll try to start this process again from a new drawing and let you know if that gets me past this problem.

Steve

Message 15 of 18
andres7K9A8

hello.

I also want a slope analysis with colors and percentages. I have done all and adjusted ranges, but the colors do not show up on my surface. Any ideas why?

Message 16 of 18
jmayo-EE
in reply to: andres7K9A8

Is the surface style configured to dsiplay Slopes in Plan?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
AJ.DECPC
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Slightly off the original topic but slope analysis related.

Does anyone know a way to specify add a specific grade change in a specified slope? We have a requirement we are trying display:

Category 1: within slopes of 10-20%, where the vertical ranges between 10-15ft vertical or more than 50ft horizontal. Category 2: within slopes of 20-30%, where the vertical ranges between 10-15ft vertical or more than 50ft horizontal.

Category 3: within slopes of 30%+, where the vertical ranges between 10-15ft vertical or more than 50ft horizontal.

Thanks

Message 18 of 18
cristian.rivas

What is OOTB?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report