Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slope analysis by direction

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ChazBraz
2992 Views, 9 Replies

Slope analysis by direction

I need to be able to do a slope analysis on a surface, but I need to have it calculate the slope in a direction - east and north.  Any way to do it?  Maybe even if there is a quick way to apply slope labels to a surface based on a grid - say the slope from N0.00, E0.00 to N0.00 to E 25.00

Charles
Civil 3D 2020
Alienware Aurora R8
Win 10 Pro
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jporter
in reply to: ChazBraz

I may not be understanding you correctly, but it sounds to me like all you need to to is place a two-point slope label (Annotate Tab > Add Labels > Surface > Slope) on your surface.  I'd draw your grid on your surface using basic ACAD lines and then use those lines to snap to while your placing yoru slope labels. 

Please correct me if I'm not understanding you correctly.

Jason

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 3 of 10
ChazBraz

Yeah, I figured out I could do that, but would like to use the slope analysis tool, and have it do a slopes banding, calculating the slopes in the east or north direction only.

Charles
Civil 3D 2020
Alienware Aurora R8
Win 10 Pro
Message 4 of 10

Here's what I would do...

1. Draw a two point slope arrow in the direction that you in the lower left corner of your surface

2. Array it (using AutoCAD Array) to cover the rest of the site. The array will be non-associative, but that is OK.

3. Erase any extra labels

You can also just copy the two point slope arrows around the drawing.

Another thing that is pretty handy is to make a one-point slope arrow and then just move it around the site as a quick check of slope and direction (as it is moved around the site it will update in the "drag state").

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10
neilyj666

This is easily doable in Civil 3D - not in front of it at the moment though but try this http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Slope-analysis-with-Civil-3D/td-p/2304463

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 10

The standard slope banding slope arrow tools are designed and coded to work on the slope of the TIN faces (based on the normal of the face).

The array of a pair of two point arrows will get you at the slope arrows on your surface in the two directions. They will update with changes in the surface.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
neilyj666

Also need to make sure that directions is turned on in the Style

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

@peterfunkautodesk wrote:

Here's what I would do...

1. Draw a two point slope arrow in the direction that you in the lower left corner of your surface

2. Array it (using AutoCAD Array) to cover the rest of the site. The array will be non-associative, but that is OK.

3. Erase any extra labels

You can also just copy the two point slope arrows around the drawing.

Another thing that is pretty handy is to make a one-point slope arrow and then just move it around the site as a quick check of slope and direction (as it is moved around the site it will update in the "drag state").

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

I like this Array trick - never realised this could be done with slope arrows

EESignature

Message 9 of 10

You can also use it for points, spot elevations or one point slope labels.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
ChazBraz

Thanks everyone for the info.  I think I'll use the slope arrows for now, and try and figure out a way to do the slope banding later.

By the way, Peter - do you get any sleep??  Late post last night and an early one this morning.  Appreciate the dedication!

Charles
Civil 3D 2020
Alienware Aurora R8
Win 10 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report