Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slicing the volume of a surface at 1m intervals

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rhokie
928 Views, 6 Replies

Slicing the volume of a surface at 1m intervals

We design a lot of Waste storage facilities, mainly above ground level.

I need to generate stage storage volumes at one metre intervals.

Is there a way to automate this?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
troma
in reply to: rhokie

Is this what you're looking for?

You should be aware that the precision of the report is based on the precision of the surface contours displayed.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 7
rhokie
in reply to: troma

Using the stage storage tool works well for basins, but I can not get it to work when the waste starts breaking ground (in fill).  

What I need is the solid created between two surfaces, sliced at 1m intervals.

Message 4 of 7
sboon

I'm guessing that you have two surfaces, excavated existing ground and a top surface for the waste.  If the excavation is a basin then you would be able to get a volume to the surface from that.  The second volume could be calculated using the top surface, from the ground up to the top of the pile.

I believe there is a way to create surfaces that would allow for stage storage calculation when the excavation is not a basin but it definitely would not be automated or easy.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
wfberry

OK, I know some of you guys already have certain ideas about me.  What if you visualized this in reverse?  Draw a basin that represents this mound of waste upside down. I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Bill

Message 6 of 7
troma
in reply to: wfberry

I seem to remember a similar conversation, and Joe-Bouza texted stage storage on a mound instead of a basin. I can't remember the context.

If you want to invert a surface (from a mound to a basin) it should be pretty simple.
1. Create a flat (horizontal, planar) surface.
2. Create a volume surface using your mound as the 'Base' and the flat surface as 'comparison'.
3. Paste the volume surface into a regular TIN surface (you can't use a TIN volume surface for volume comparisons, but maybe you can use it for the stage storage, so this step may be unnecessary).

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 7
rhokie
in reply to: troma

Thanks for the feedback,

I tried inverting the facility as you suggested.  The volume surface shows the correct capacity (= flat surface / design surface - flat surface / existing ground) but, the stage storage data is about half the capacity.  

I think it is caused by the uneven ground profile.

The attached drawing contains the ground and design contours.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report