Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Line Profile - HELP

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Chrissy83
1166 Views, 5 Replies

Single Line Profile - HELP

Hey All,

Perhaps you can help me with something. I have a few pieces of survey data that I need to create profiles with. However, all of the survey data that I have is all single line info (not sufficient to try and create a surface with). How would I create profiles (4 in total, one profile having two sets of linework) without using a surface to model it from? I've attempted to do it using Create from File, also with using Quick Profile and neither of them work either. Been troubling me for some time now and I'm sure it's either a no can do type thing or something really simple....so I'm relying on you people to help me out here!!

Thanks!!

Christine
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Chrissy83

take you single line of data as a feature line and
use the offset tool a few feet either side with 0 difference elevation, then you
have a surface to profile.

What went wrong with the file method?

--
Thanks, Joe

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)
Civil 3D 2008
LDT
Win XP pro
v 2002, sp 2
hp workstation xw4600
Intel Core Duo
CPU
E7200 @2.53 GHz
3 GB RAM
NIVDIA Quadro FX 1700
(512MB)
==============================
"All Contours are Lies! -(
AJ)
===========================
The mantra of a former Flamer:
If you
are forced to eat an Elephant, don’t complain about it; Take one bite at a
time.
*****************************************************************************************
In
memory of the King of Work-arounds
"The only Constant is Change".

"The only thing worse than training your staff, and having them leave is
-
not training your staff, and having them stay." 😮
A reminder taken
from Graphics Solution Providers' Calendar
page
*****************************************************************************************

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hey
All, Perhaps you can help me with something. I have a few pieces of survey
data that I need to create profiles with. However, all of the survey data that
I have is all single line info (not sufficient to try and create a surface
with). How would I create profiles (4 in total, one profile having two sets of
linework) without using a surface to model it from? I've attempted to do it
using Create from File, also with using Quick Profile and neither of them work
either. Been troubling me for some time now and I'm sure it's either a no can
do type thing or something really simple....so I'm relying on you people to
help me out here!! Thanks!! Christine
Message 3 of 6
Chrissy83

Ha! See I knew it would be something stupid easy!! Thanks!

The file method kept reading my point numbers as stations instead and I didn't know how to change that.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Good. The point numbers is reading the file
correctly. To use that method you need to create a file of Station, elevation.
That's easy too, Use the tool box tab for alignment station reports. But the
offset business is IMHO the quickest and easiest

--
Thanks, Joe

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)
Civil 3D 2008
LDT
Win XP pro
v 2002, sp 2
hp workstation xw4600
Intel Core Duo
CPU
E7200 @2.53 GHz
3 GB RAM
NIVDIA Quadro FX 1700
(512MB)
==============================
"All Contours are Lies! -(
AJ)
===========================
The mantra of a former Flamer:
If you
are forced to eat an Elephant, don’t complain about it; Take one bite at a
time.
In
memory of the King of Work-arounds
"The only Constant is Change".

"The only thing worse than training your staff, and having them leave is
-
not training your staff, and having them stay." 😮
A reminder taken
from Graphics Solution Providers' Calendar
page

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Ha!
See I knew it would be something stupid easy!! Thanks! The file method kept
reading my point numbers as stations instead and I didn't know how to change
that.
Message 5 of 6
kevinjackman

Here is the method i use to create profiles from a single line of shots (from file);

Use TGO or other survey software to make a FBK or CSV file containing only the shots required for the profile.  This is simply for convenience.  It is also a good idea to renumber the points so each successive profile point is a successive point number.  This is not required though.

Import points into Civil 3D.

Create an Alignment.  Use tangents to connect the points (osnap node to node to node....).  Tip:  The transparent command 'PN can be used to connect a range of points with successive point numbers.  This avoids having to manually connect all the shots.

In the SETTINGS tab, right click on the drawing name.  Edit Drawing Settings...

In the Ambient Settings tab, under 'Station' change the 'Station Delimiter Character' to <none>.  OK.

Go to the report manager and execute the 'Station Offset To Points' report.  Select the shots required.

Browse to a save location and choose XLS (Excel) as the output format.  Click Create Report.

Excel should start automatically. Delete unnecessary rows and columns.  Only station values and elevations values are required.

Next, delete the unit 'm' (or 'ft') from the end of each elevation.  Excel can do this for you.  In Excel, select all the elevations and then go to the Data tab.  Click on 'Text To Columns' button.  Select 'Fixed Width'.  Click Next.  In the Data Preview, click between the last number and the 'm'.  A line should be visible there.  This is the Parse line.  Click Finish.  Choose to replace the original values if prompted.  Delete the column with all the 'm's.

Format the stations and elevations as Numbers, 3 decimal places.  Edit the very last station so it is 1cm less than the actual station value.

Save-as format CSV.

Open with Notepad and 'Find / Replace' all the commas' with a space.  Save-as format txt.

In Civil 3D, on the home tab, choose the Profile pull down.  Click 'Create Profile From File'. Browse to the txt file.

Pick the Alignment that was created earlier.  Give the profile a name and a style.  Click OK.

On the home tab of the Ribbon, click Profile View, Create Profile View.  Pick the appropriate alignment.  Enter a Profile View Name.  Click 'Create Profile View'.  Pick a point on screen to place the grid.

Back in the Ambient Settings tab, under 'Station' change the 'Station Delimiter Character' back to '+ sign'.  OK 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6

This is the method I would use: http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2008/09/create-profile-without-surface-vba.html, but the other ways also work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report