Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simpler sloping of pad?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rhaught
273 Views, 7 Replies

Simpler sloping of pad?

On about every project at work I need to take a strangely shaped pad and give it a 2% cross slope.  I have been doing this by manually editing the elevation of points on the feature line defining the edges of the pad and watching the surface slope labels adjust until it works.  Is there an easier way to tell a feature line to slope between two points not on the same segment?  This seems like the kind of thing there would be a command for somewhere.  Thanks for your time.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: rhaught

R,

How about making a 4-sided surface (infill) that slopes the way you want, and then draping the strangely shaped pad onto it?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

I can certainly vouch for the usefulness of this tool....:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
pinwards

Create a simple two point (line) feature line outside your "pad", offset or use a grading object to create a 2% plane from that feature line, across the pad area, then create a temporary surface from these two feature. The temporary surface can be set to a non-visible style, so you don't see it. Then drape your pad feature line on this temporary surface to assign the elevations. Voila, you have an irregularly-shaped pad at a nice 2% slope.

I like to keep the temporary feature lines and temp surfaces in their own Site, and on unique layers, so that I can turn their visibility off and/or freeze the layers, but still retain them in case I need to make revisions down the road.

#

Message 6 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: pinwards

.....or just use Jeff's tool which automates all this

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
rhaught

Pinward's strategy works.  Thanks a lot!  But Jeff's program also looks like it might help a lot.  I got it installed and am experimenting with it now.

Message 8 of 8
neilyj666

It would work as it is what you need to do, Jeff's program automates it significantly....;)

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report