AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Active Contributor
torpedo99
Message 1 of 3 (483 Views)
Accepted Solution

Simple Surface from Feature Line (Break Line) Question

483 Views, 2 Replies
03-28-2013 06:27 PM

I created an empty TIN surface, created some 3D feature lines from polylines, edited the feature lines with elevations, then added them to the surface as breaklines.  There's an approx 25 foot distance between two feature line elevation points set on an arc, which is also the approx surface outer boundary.  Triangulation does not cleanly follow the arc, there is a gap on the inside of the arc.  Also the surface appears to overrun the other side of the boundary.  See graphic.

The magenta polyline is the outer surface boundary.  How can I get the surface to cleanly follow these arcs without lots of intermediate points?  Can I get it to interpolate elevations along the arcs?

When adding breaklines, set the mid-ordinate ditance to a smaller value. I use 0.02 most of the time, in tight parking areas I'll shrink that further. You can set the defaults for this so you don't hvae to think about it everytime:

3-28-2013 6-34-52 PM.png

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 2 of 3 (479 Views)

Re: Simple Surface from Feature Line (Break Line) Question

03-28-2013 06:38 PM in reply to: torpedo99

When adding breaklines, set the mid-ordinate ditance to a smaller value. I use 0.02 most of the time, in tight parking areas I'll shrink that further. You can set the defaults for this so you don't hvae to think about it everytime:

3-28-2013 6-34-52 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Active Contributor
torpedo99
Message 3 of 3 (474 Views)

Re: Simple Surface from Feature Line (Break Line) Question

03-28-2013 06:45 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

works like a champ, thank you!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.