Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Sewer Profile

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
trynders
2095 Views, 7 Replies

Simple Sewer Profile

I have an horizontal alignment that I used to cut an existing ground line.  I will be using that for a sewer profile.  What can I put in the horizontal alignment that would show the same horizontal location of utility crossings.  Like a station tick or something.  I dont want to get into pipe networks.  Look like about 50 - 60 utility crossings

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dseatter
in reply to: trynders

I suggest using Pressure Networks for water, gas and even sewer utility crossings.

It is fast & efficient & plots the utility in the correct spot in the profile, as long as you have good depth information.

Dave Seatter, PLS
C3D 2013 SP1
Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 - 12.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon W3530@2.8 GHz - ATI FirePro 4800
Dell T3500
Message 3 of 8
Joe-Bouza

@trynders wrote:

I have an horizontal alignment that I used to cut an existing ground line.  I will be using that for a sewer profile.  What can I put in the horizontal alignment that would show the same horizontal location of utility crossings.  Like a station tick or something.  I dont want to get into pipe networks.  Look like about 50 - 60 utility crossings

Thanks

Yyou can place a cogo point, block, FL etc at these locations and project them to the profile view. I have made copies of eg - 3, eg-5 yada yada to project typical gas, electric, water elevtions.
I see you want to avoid Pipe networks, but you can make some down and dirty segments only at the crossing points?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I agree with Joe's approach vs. trying to model all those crossings with pipe parts. You can style the plan view and projected profile objects and their labels to suit your needs without the overhead of having to manage all those pipe parts.

The downside to using projected objects is they have to be manually moved to the new location of the crossing if the pipe main alignment changes. In cases where the pipe alignment is prone to significant changes, using pipe parts might be a less cumbersome solution.

I like Joe's suggestion to create offset versions of the EG, each lowered to a utility depth. Then when you move a crossing, it's depth automatically adjusts according to the terrain (if you set it to use the corresponding offset surface elevation).

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
dseatter

From my experience if you plot a utility at a depth that you think it is at, but don't know for sure, chances are you will plot it in the wrong position and possibly design a pipe run right through it.

Dave Seatter, PLS
C3D 2013 SP1
Dell T3500
Message 6 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: dseatter

That is true. Unless you locate them in the field you are taking an educated guess. Still, showing them in the plans draws attention to them, and if there are conflicts they can be addressed during construction. In cases where the alignment is critical, a field location should be established during design.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 8
trynders

We typically don't show depths of utilities like gas, water, telephone, etc.  We strike a vertical line at the crossing point to call out possible conflicts.  We try to assume in design though, typical depths of utilities to avoid conflicts.  Now other sewer crossings are placed in the profile base upon interpolation between upper and lower manhole dips.

Thanks for all the advice.  I will give some of them a try.

Message 8 of 8
dseatter

Projecting a Feature Line, with elevations from the surface, into a profile view works just like Joe & Neil said.

Placed a tick mark at the existing ground line, at the correct station, from which a vertical line can be struck.

I haven't done that before, very nice technique to know. Thanks.

Dave Seatter, PLS
C3D 2013 SP1
Dell T3500

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report