Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sidewalk doubt

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
anne.rb
328 Views, 6 Replies

Sidewalk doubt

Hello, I have a problem that I’ve been trying to solve for a few days now, but nothing seems to work. I have an intersection between two streets with different sidewalk width, when I model the intersection using an assembly for the turn, I can make the lane widen ‘till the targets I establish in “corridor proprieties”, but I can’t do that for the sidewalk. So I’ve tried making an alignment for the sidewalk (outer edge) to widen it using the targets, but it didn’t work because it didn’t allow me to establish the targets in corridor proprieties. Does anyone know what am I doing wrong? Or another way to do it? I really don't know what else to do.

I apologize if someone has already posted this question and has been solved, I’ve been looking through the posts and could not find a solution. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
doni49
in reply to: anne.rb

Which subassembly did you use for your sidewalk?  To be able to have it target your alignment, the SA has to be specifically coded to allow for this.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 7
castled071049

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with sidewalk subassemblies at all. Have your underlying base site plan show the sidewalks using ordinary vanilla Autocad lines, arcs, etc., but don't bother with the sidewalk in your assembly. It will save headaches like the one you are experiencing in this post. 

Message 4 of 7
anne.rb

Thank you both )). In the end, I followed your advice and I let it as it was, it just bothered me not to nail the design.

I was using the basic sidewalk (not going to make that mistake again!, it didn't even let me change its slope in the properties table), so maybe that was the problem, if I find time I will try it with a basic lane, just to see if it can be done.

Message 5 of 7
Jeff_M

Do not use the Basic subassemblies for anything other than training. The Urban Sidewalk allows you to set targets for the 3 different widths (inside planter, sidewalk, outside planter)
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jeff_M

I agree with Jeff.

In fact, in the help file for the subassembly, it pretty much says, "DON'T USE ME FOR PRODUCTION!!!!"

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 7
jeff_rivers

Hello Ann.rb, I am curious what you ended up doing as far as getting proposed elevations for the actual design back-of-walk.  If I understand your process, the assemblies you used did not model the actual back-of-walk at the correct offset and grade.  Will this be a problem when your project goes out for construction?  Did you calculate the offsets & elevations by hand?  Or do something else?  

Thanks, 

Jeff Rivers

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report