Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIDEWALK DESIGN IN CIVIL 3D 2012

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
kfurn
2759 Views, 6 Replies

SIDEWALK DESIGN IN CIVIL 3D 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to show a 10' sidewalk on the sections that is already created. I'm thinking that I need to create a proposed corridor first and recreate the sections. The back of sidewalk is my profile grade so what is the best way to create an corridor? I have an  centerline alignment with stationing along the center of an existing road and a layout profile that I created that shows the profile grade at the back of sidewalk. Is there a subassembly that will set my marked point at the back of sidewalk and not the front like the urban sidewalk?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: kfurn

No need to recreate the sections. Make the corridor and add it to the sample lines via "sample more sources. Is the proposed corridor the only component? are the section based on a different alignment?
I could be wrong but maybe the back of sw can be the attachemnt to the assmbly dode similar to a curb sub

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
kfurn

Joe,

That's good to know. Both the proposed corridor (sidewalk) and the
sections are based from the same centerline of the road alignment but
first I must create an assembly for the corridor. Yes the sidewalk is
the only component. The UrbanSidewalk only set the sidewalk to the
marker point from at the front and not the back of sidewalk in which I
want because that how I laid out my profile grade at the back of
sidewalk in the profile. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Kevin E. Furniss

Senior Designer / CADD Technician

Giffels-Webster Engineers, Inc.

900 Pine St., Suite 225

Englewood, Florida 34223

(941) 475-7981

Fax (941) 474-4285

kfurniss@gwefl.com
Message 4 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Ok
Then you will want to use an assembly and an offset assembly. your road cl profile will carry the assembly and the alignment an pgl you created for the sidewalk will carry the offset.

you can look into the UrbanRepalceSideWalk sub that uses the outside edge. (I'm ignorant on the use of marked points but if you understand them great.)

Maybe the regular USW can be used in reverse; for example if the sidewalk is on the right, attach it to the right offset on the left side and set the cross slope to a negative value

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
kfurn

I don’t like the marked point either. I got the USW to work in reverse but the marked point is off from the c/l of road alignment and not the back of sidewalk. Do I need to create a sidewalk alignment using miscellaneous alignment? And will that follow the c/l of road alignment? The proposed sidewalk meanders along the existing roadway.

The existing sections and the profiles are in their separate drawings. What drawing should I create the corridor? My guess would be the profile.

These are the steps I used to design the sidewalks and I like to link them unto the sections already created.

- Draft sidewalk unto plan views

- Layout back of sidewalk profile grade onto profile that shows centerline of road alignment

- Converted the back of sidewalk profile grade line (polylines with PVI’s) to layout profile in the same profile view

- Create sections showing only existing conditions

Maybe I’m missing something else here. I’ve attached my drawings to illustrate what I’m trying to do. Thank you for your help!

Thank you,

Kevin

Message 6 of 7
Joe-Bouza

@kfurn wrote:

I don’t like the marked point either. I got the USW to work in reverse but the marked point is off from the c/l of road alignment and not the back of sidewalk. Do I need to create a sidewalk alignment using miscellaneous alignment? And will that follow the c/l of road alignment? The proposed sidewalk meanders along the existing roadway.

The existing sections and the profiles are in their separate drawings. What drawing should I create the corridor? My guess would be the profile.

These are the steps I used to design the sidewalks and I like to link them unto the sections already created.

- Draft sidewalk unto plan views

- Layout back of sidewalk profile grade onto profile that shows centerline of road alignment

- Converted the back of sidewalk profile grade line (polylines with PVI’s) to layout profile in the same profile view

- Create sections showing only existing conditions

Maybe I’m missing something else here. I’ve attached my drawings to illustrate what I’m trying to do. Thank you for your help!

Thank you,

Kevin

I suggest using an offset assembly for the side walk this will allow you to build the corridor along the CL and show in you cross sections from CL. To use the offset assembly you will need an separate alignment and profile for the back of walk. Note: the front of side walk will follow the behavior assigned to the assembly i.e cross slope.

You can create the corridor anywhere you have a data shortcut. the profile drawing is suitable.

- Draft sidewalk unto plan views (ok)

- Layout back of sidewalk profile grade onto profile that shows center line of road alignment (this can work but see offset explanation above)

- Converted the back of sidewalk profile grade line (polylines with PVI’s) to layout profile in the same profile view (not sure what this is doing for you)

- Create sections showing only existing conditions (ok, but presumably the goal is to get the SW onto the section, use Offset assembly)

FYI: the offset assembly works in conjunction with an assembly that would be assigned to CL. in other words the corridor is built on CL using EG profile, the offset targets BOSW alignment and profile. Note using the offset build the sidewalk perpendicular to the offset alignment, which may be desirable if it meanders from CL.

Question: how are you planning on dealing with the front of sw? It may be in cut or fill? I guess you may have accounted for that in the BOSW PGL. You could add a daylight link to the front, I guess.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
kfurn

Joe,

I'll try this. The existing swale varies from roadside to R/W so the new
sidewalk either be in front of the swale or behind it. I think the
offset assembly would work best if I can experience it a little more.
Thank you for your time. Have a good day!

Thank you,

Kevin E. Furniss

Senior Designer / CADD Technician

Giffels-Webster Engineers, Inc.

900 Pine St., Suite 225

Englewood, Florida 34223

(941) 475-7981

Fax (941) 474-4285

kfurniss@gwefl.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report