Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHP File Data Connect imports to wrong Coordinate System (Civil 3D 2013)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
EcosystemServices
2994 Views, 7 Replies

SHP File Data Connect imports to wrong Coordinate System (Civil 3D 2013)

When the attached shape file (change soilmu_a_a.txt to .shp) is imported using MAPIMPORT the data aligns with other imported georeferenced raster imagery (said imagery was imported using the MAPIINSERT command).  If the same shape file is imported using the data connect tool it shows up in a much different location (see word document).

The drawing coordinate system code is "UTM83-18F" and the data was downloaded from the Web Soil Survey's data download with the identical coordinate system (see attached readme.txt).

I prefer to use the data connect option when importing this type of shape file because I can label them all using a theme and use stylize the data for visualization/presentation.

Any insight would be appreciated.

As an aside, I have found that data connect does not automatically transform data coordinate systems to match your drawing coordinate system as advertised.  I've used the edit coordinate system to no avail; however, again when the file is imported using MAPIMPORT and saved as a drawing (with native data coordinate system) and then that drawing is queried from a drawing in a different coordinate system it seems to transform the coordinate system just fine.  Is this a problem with data connect?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Sounds like the .shp file is reading from a projection file associated with it.  In the data connect dialog, change the coordinate system to your desired coordinate system.  If that doesn't work, move or delete the .prj file associated with the .shp file.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8
lludwig
in reply to: EcosystemServices

I have tried MAPIMPORT, MAPWSPACE and MAPCONNECT and I still can't get my data to import correctly.  I set the drawing to the coordinate system stated in the text file and still doesn't import properly.

Can you please tell me how you querried the info into the proper coordinate system.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: lludwig

Please paste here the content of your .PRJ file, sir.

Message 5 of 8
lludwig
in reply to: antoniovinci

Antoniovinci

Attached are the two prj files that I'm unable to geospatially position.

Thanks

Lenore
Message 6 of 8
antoniovinci

Seems like something went wrong upon your uploading, sir.

Please zip the .SHP + .PRJ files, and send 'em to me by MP.

Message 7 of 8
lludwig
in reply to: antoniovinci

Antoniovinci:

That's what I have been suspecting that the files have not been uploaded
properly. I didn't do the uploading so I have no insight to what procedure
was used.

Attached is the first file. I will send the next file in a new email.

Thanks

lludwig
Message 8 of 8
antoniovinci

No way, sir: I sent a PM to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report