Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show/label edge of road in Section

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lctilley
902 Views, 4 Replies

Show/label edge of road in Section

I have a 1 mile long asphalt road. I have a good topo, surface, plan and profile and sample lines every 50' along the alignment. My question is whether or not there is a way to automatically show the edge of the road in the sections? Anyone have any ideas? If not, I am going to have to measure for the alignment to the edge of road along 97 sample lines. Yuck!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dperde
in reply to: lctilley

Yes you can, if you built the road as ROW or as a corridor. If the EOP is a simple line, I'm afraid you can't.
Message 3 of 5
jeff_rivers

A little more information is needed, but assuming you want to show the edge of the existing road, as picked up in your topo, there's a way.

Create a polyline from your edge of pave line, then create an alignment from that polyline. Edit and clean up any breaks in your polyline first, of course. Repeat for the opposite side of the road.

Create a marker style for your edge of pave. Add the marker style to your code set style. Create a label style with a line and a short piece of text, say, "EP". Create a simple corridor, with an assembly containing a Link Offset On Surface, set to target the surface at the edge of pave alignment. You'll need a left and a right assembly. In the assembly properties, set the Point Code to be the same as the name of your marker name.

When you create sections from this corridor, it should label the EP at the edge of pave alignment. You will need to play with the label style to get it to look right, but there's a lot of power in that label.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 4 of 5

You don't need to create aligments. Civil 3D can target polylines for the offset. And unless the break happens at the cross section station, you don't even need to cleanup the breaks. Also, when targeting multiple objects (like polylines) you have the choice to take the closet or furthest one from the alignment as the target.

Cheers,

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
gchakri

All these suggestions would work. Another way is if you can get them as Plines and "convert those 2D plines into 3D" and project them on to section views (R2011 feature to project multiple views). As you are projecting these 3D plines into section views you can assign a label style to mark offset/elevations.

~Chakri
Autodesk

Chakri.G

Senior Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report