Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoulder Subassembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tysonbird
1131 Views, 5 Replies

Shoulder Subassembly

I am trying to model a DOT project in a fashion that allows a corridor surface creation for not only the finished surface, but also the datum surface. This is a machine control project currently under construction. One of the DOT's typical sections includes a shoulder subassembly with a grade break in it. This particular assembly varies in width at the grade break. I would like to have the option for a target width alignment at the grade break.

See attached sketch.

Any ideas??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sboon
in reply to: tysonbird

It can be done.  Essentially you build the shoulder by stacking up GenericPavementStructure subs with each one having a different outer edge slope.  In the assembly you can use parameter references to assign the top width of a sub to equal the bottom width of the previous sub.  Make sure that all of the subs in the stack have the same default cross slope and use a comon superelevation parameter so that they rotate together.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 6
BrianHailey
in reply to: sboon

Steves suggestion should work. Just make sure you assign the appropriate codes to the subassemblies. Set the "Top Link Codes" for the top one to TOP, the "Outside Link Codes" for them all to TOP (double check and make sure I don't have this backwards with the "Inside Link Codes"), and then the "Bottom Link Codes" for the bottom one to DATUM.

http://screencast.com/t/DOf81GxzKXF

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 6
tysonbird
in reply to: sboon

Thank you for your quick reply. I have built the modified shouler SA as you indicated and set the top width of bottom SA to = the bottom width of the top SA in the parameter references sections.

One question I have is these SA's, when viewed in the properties pane have no point codes assigned to them. I still have some work to do before I am ready for the corridor model, but I am curious if I need to do anything with the point codes prior to building my corridor and specifying the target offset alignments for both grade breaks.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 5 of 6
tysonbird

Looks like I asked a question at the same time you intended to answer it.

Thank you both for the help!

Message 6 of 6
sboon

You will need point codes in order to get feature lines from your corridor, and as Brian mentioned above you need good link and shape codes to get the corridor to display correctly and for quantities later.

The best way to do it is to look at the coding diagram for one of the OOTB subassemblies and then replicate that in yours.  I'm not sure if your design includes pavement or just gravel structure, but if you examine the point, link & shape coding diagram for ShoulderExtendAll you can see how it is set up and you can apply the same codes to the relevant pieces of your generic subassemblies.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCSH/GUID-904838B2-5B98-42CB-A605-75D1747792C-103.htm

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report