Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should surface labels be on the same file as the surface?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mcanta
811 Views, 12 Replies

Should surface labels be on the same file as the surface?

In the past we've placed "unintelligent" labels (spot elevations, grades, etc) on plan sheets that xref the master and topo files.  This tends to reduce the master file sizes.

We've pretty much followed the same practice using Civil 3d's "intelligent" labels.  The master file with the surface is still an xref.  The problem with this is that the labels stay with the plan sheet file and cannot be shown or exported to another sheet (or is there a way?).

My other thought is to keep all the labels (spot elevations, slopes, dimensions, etc.) in the same master file as the surface.  My fear with this that it will create one huge slow to open master file.  This would be really huge in the case of a subdivision project. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wetsnow13
in reply to: mcanta

I may not understand you completely here, but if you have a huge surface you probably want a separate file, with all the existing labels, and have it DREF'd to your existing conditions linework or your design drawing.

Message 3 of 13
Grimes_MG
in reply to: wetsnow13

The intellegent Surface Labels must have the surface data to interact with otherwise you'll just get "???". Surface Labels are like Alignment Labels. You could always Data Shortcut your surface information into your Master file and then label, it would be similar to the unintellegent label scheme you discribed.

Other than that, I don't see how you can have a surface in one drawing, XRef'ed (not Data Shorcutted) into your Master drawing and use C3D Surface Labels. You'll note that once you place your Surface Label and Slope Label, you can't change the surface they are labeling either.

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
Message 4 of 13
mathewkol

Grimes and OP, yes you can xref a surface and label it. Xref anything and it can be labelled. No dref required if all you want to do is label.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 13
neilyj666

absolutely right, I label all my projects via xref for final presentation drawings.

This avoids scale problems where the xref and final drawing are at different scales.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 13
tcorey

Have you tried blocking the labels from the plan sheet to another drawing and then insert that elsewhere? As long as the same surface is in the other drawing, the labels should hold their values. I would test it for you but I'm on a tablet right now. No Civil 3D on iPad....yet.

Reply to this post and I can test this on Monday.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 13
mcanta

Thanks for the replies.  I guess this was more of a question of what should be best practice.  From the answers, it seems that depending on the projects, people do it differently.

tcorey, I tried wblock and clipboard copy and paste commands on the labels (with and without it's associated xref) without success.

So I guess there is just no way to copy/export labels? 

Message 8 of 13
jmayo-EE

IMO Best Practice would be to minimize the labels you have.

One of the best ways to do this with surface contour labels is to avoid labeling with the Increment command and instead label with the Multiple command.

This will reduce hundreds or thousands of Contour Label Lines.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I personally would try to avoid having an xref with a surface in it. I would Dref instead of xref.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
mcanta

I'll keep this in mind for contour labels.

Although, we don't usually have many contour labels.

Most are various custom spot elevation and slope labels.
Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE

The Best Practice Manual will tell you to dref and label the surface in the sheet files.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
mcanta

I just figured out how to use data shortcuts, and I agree that this has advantages over xrefing.  Thanks.  I will recommend this at my workplace.

I guess this means that Civil 3d Best Practices is to recreate labels if they ever have to be moved or shown on another sheet. 

Message 13 of 13
tcorey

If you are creating plans types that don't use Plan Production Tools but you use Sheet Set Manager to drag model views into sheets, you will automatically get xreferenced surface models. You can label those in the sheet drawings if you like. 

If you must copy labels from drawing to drawing: Wblock will export the labels and the surface to another drawing that can be xref'd or inserted into a third drawing -- if the surface is native or data referenced into the drawing you export from.

If you add labels to an xref'd surface and want to copy those out, you will need to explode them first. Now you're working with blocks instead of labels. There are all sorts of reasons not to do this. I am providing this information for if you really insist on copying the labels drawing to drawing.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report