Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet set sheet selection

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
nostupidquestions
837 Views, 11 Replies

sheet set sheet selection

i'm creating a sheet set. when it gets to the part about selecting the drawings and layouts, the layouts are not in numerical order. there's no way to get them in order is there? i've tried selecting them in order but the final sheet set has them out of order.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
troma
in reply to: nostupidquestions

Click and drag them up and down the list?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 12
nostupidquestions
in reply to: troma

well, i could do that but A) i shouldn't have to, it should put them in numerical order, and B) when creating the sheet set, the sheet set puts a number in front of each sheet. this number is what i use for my drawing number on my title block. if i go through and shuffle around the layouts, then i have to go back and renumber that first number. if i've got 50 layouts then that becomes a PITA.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 4 of 12
kcobabe
in reply to: nostupidquestions

Which is why the company I work for does not use plan production tools.  Never mind the fact most of our clients want edge to edge profile grids.  I was able to get C3D close to do the sheets like that, but it always would fall through on the ends.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 5 of 12

Can you be more specific about your work flow? I don't recall getting sheet numbers automatically using import layouts or plan production

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12

sure. i get all my drawings created with all the appropriate layouts and such. each drawing in this case has 3 or 4 layouts. once i'm happy with all the sheets i create a sheet set. i go to the sheet set manager and go through all the steps to import the drawings. when i get to the step where i pick the drawing folder to select the drawings and layouts, the drawings are in numerical order but the layouts aren't. even selecting the layouts in order doesn't work. anyway i proceed to the next step where it gives athe sheet set preview. in my case it creates '1-drawing name-layout name', then '2-drawing name-layout name'. when i commit to this then that's the way the sheets are set up. so at this point the layouts are all screwed up. i can move them to the correct order but then the first digit that was created in the sheet set manager is now out of order. so initially the layouts should be in numerical order. anything else on the computer is listed in numerical order, why not this? the whole sheet set manager is pretty clunky but it's quicker than opening and renumbering each individual drawing. it could still be a lot more streamlined.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 7 of 12

Go to JTB world and get sheet set properties editor. It's reasonably priced and worth every penny.

Not in front of a wa station this morning, but have you tried breaking the layout import into logical steps; importing drawing type, discipline etc. to better control the import?
To bring in 100 layouts in one fell'd swoop seems overwhelming. Think sub sets

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12

i ended up redoing it in subsets, just creating the sheet set and then importing drawings as i opened them. this method doesn't put the initial numbering like the previous method. i downloaded that program a while ago and i don't think it did what i was expecting but i'll check it out again. thanks for the help though.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 9 of 12

That program will make your life so much easier when you want to number / re number a drawing list, and ca add prefix suffix ie C-1 to C-####.....

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

I felt compelled to look into this.

SSM sorts files and names the same as any windows based application, by ASCII character construction. Therefeore, it behooves you to either name your files or layouts sequentially the way you want them sorted in your drawing list.

Note on the import layouts dialog you can click to sort by layout name or drawing name.

ssmsort.png

Here I clicked the layout tab to sort by layout name prior to import

ssmsorted_2.png

Upon import, as I suspected SSM does not auto number the sheets. Are you sure your sheets are being auto numbered and it not the tab name number?

ssmsort3.png

Message 11 of 12

ssm.JPG

ssm2.JPG

so i created a test sheet set with a drawing with a lot of layouts. the first image shows the layouts not in numerical order. there is no way at this point to reorder them. the second image shows the prefix number added which i use as my sheet number in a field in my titile block. this is all being done through the 'create new sheet set' proceedure. if i just do the 'import layout as sheet' i can get them in order but i have to rename & renumber the sheets to get the prefix number as it's not added automatically. 

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 12 of 12

That is piculiar.

I suggest you modify your work flow to create Sheet Set from example Sheet Set, then you will have the oportunity to sort the layouts upon import.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report