Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Sample PKTs on the Subassembly Composer Wiki

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
TimYarris
6190 Views, 8 Replies

Sharing Sample PKTs on the Subassembly Composer Wiki

Hi everyone.

We've provided a lot of help content and sample PKTs on the Subassembly Composer wiki. We hope that you will add your own knowledge to it so that other users can learn from your expertise.

One of the ways you can share your expertise is by sharing subassemblies that you've created. We want to create a section of the wiki that will make it easy to upload your PKT files, as well as find what other users have done. The first way you can help is by helping me determine where samples should go and how we can make it easy to find them.

Where would you expect to find and upload samples?

How would you expect to navigate through samples? (If categories, what would they be called?)

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: TimYarris

I would expect to look for them under a child page of "Autodesk Subassembly Composer" at the end of the list. 

Because different users are going to be looking for different pkt files I would recommend providing them in a Sortable Table with columns of the different classification types. I don't think you want too many columns but ones that I think would be beneficial are:

Description (not sortable?)

Type (Full Assembly, Subassembly) or Complexity (Complex, Simple)

Category (Road, Curb/Barrier, Retaining Walls, Daylight, Other)

Components (Decision, Switches, etc.... Ideally it would be awesome if this could then be pulled/linked somehow to the pages that talk about Decision, Switches, etc. This would need to be some sort of comma delineated list.)

Creator (so that people can find multiple pkt files by the same person)

Number of downloads? (popularity?)

Date of Creation (to be able to find new files)

I think the other important thing would be to provide limited choices for uploading users to pick from so that there is uniformity when sorting (ex. Road vs. Roads)

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 9
TimYarris
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Thanks for the suggestions, Kati!

Message 4 of 9
Jay.Meszar

Tim,

Was it your intention to upload the pkt files or to upload a zip file with the atc, xml data for Civil 3D?  When I tried to download the pkt files, I recieved a zip with all files needed for Civil 3D and not the pkt files for SAC.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 9
TimYarris
in reply to: Jay.Meszar

Hi Jay,

I believe PKTs are converted to ZIP when you download them. If you change the file extension from .ZIP to .PKT, you can open them in Subassembly Composer. I updated the Sample PKT Files help topic to reflect this.

I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 9
LeafRiders

TIm is right, i downloaded a file as a zip, changed the extension to .pkt and it worked within the SA Composer. Seems like people are hoarding whatever they develop to keep it proprietary. Why couldn't Autodesk themselves offer up some sort of .pkt library. If you really want this thing to catch on maybe Autodesk should start handing out some samples and let people roll with this?

Early on it seems as though these .pkt files should be saved as separate elements within the intention to combine multiple elements into one .pkt file (SA). The main reason for the SAC is to solve the decisions that you'll need your assembly to process, either that or some of the stock SAs need these decisions built into them, but also saved as a PKT file so people can take them and edit them accordingly.

Is there a way to get the Civil 3D stock Subassemblies into a pkt file without doing it manually? I not, why not?

Message 7 of 9
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: LeafRiders

"Is there a way to get the Civil 3D stock Subassemblies into a pkt file without doing it manually? I not, why not?"

The original stock Civil 3D subassemblies are written in a completely different code than the SAC files. Unfortunately there is no magic conversation process, it would all have to be done manually by a human. One can only hope that in the future more sample .pkt (SAC) subassembly files will be provided that are similar to the stock subassemblies.

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 8 of 9
LeafRiders
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Thanks for the information... Why couldn't Autodesk go with something that's universal and open the door to limitless Subassemblies? Someone employed / payed by Autodesk should gladly take this on for the benefit of Civil 3D marketing and sales. Once the users that use Civil 3D / Other software know they have a limitless solution Civil 3D design paramaters the "other" software packages will fade into the night. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9

Good idea,

Here is mine. Who is next?? Man-up people.

Dean Petersen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report