Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing C3D files with other companies

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mermerCAD
656 Views, 14 Replies

Sharing C3D files with other companies

Hi all-

We have to provide our C3D files to another consultant.  The partner at our company is concerned about providing another company with our styles.  Is there a quick way to convert all of our styles to a generic NCS standard?

More importantly, I'm worried about the pipe networks, particularly the structures.  If I understand correctly, the structures pull their information from the Parts List which pulls its information from the part catalog which is located (in our case) on the network.  What happens with regard to the structures when the file is etransmitted?  We don't want to send the other company our entire part catalog.  If we don't send the part catalog, how will the parts list know what the structure is to look like.  Could it subsitute a manhole for an inlet?

What is the best practice for sharing C3D files with limited sharing of styles?

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2014

Windows 7 64-bit

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
KirkNoonan
in reply to: mermerCAD

You could export all of the C3D objects to LandXML and then export the drawing to vanilla ACAD w/ exploded AEC objects. The receiving firm would probably appreciate not getting all of the top secret bulk anyway. Sometimes the styles (structures in particular) convey design intent. You might want ot make sure that you're not dumbing things down too much.

We took the opposite approach, and spread our styles and layers around everywhere. Now our template is pretty much the defacto standard in our small town. Makes it really easy on us.

Message 3 of 15
AllenJessup

You could purge all unused styles to cut down any you'd have to change.

ps.png

You could also copy the objects in the drawing and paste them into a drawing created with no template or an OOTB template. Then do a couple of purges and recovers. This will still contain the styles for the C3D objects you pasted in but will eliminate all unused ones.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
mathewkol

Kirk has the right idea. I think we should all hold on less tighly to our styles. We had the same feelings about blocvks way back when. Nobody thinks twice about giving up blocks these days.

Regarding your structures, I think you'll just need to provide the catalog if they're going to need to create/edit your structures.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 15
rendarin

I agree with Matt regarding the part catalog, it's probably better for both parties if you provided the part catalog. When some new guys were still learning the dynamics of the Parts List here at the office there was lots of confusion as to why the pipes weren't displaying or the rules weren't being applied correctly between different units, all because they weren't directed to look at one catalog

If you don't want to send the entire part catalog, you could create a copy of the catalog, redirect C3D to look at that, and delete the parts that they don't need. But you'd have to be freakishly absolutely sure you're not deleting a part being referred. Downside, of course, would be this is quite time consuming.
Message 6 of 15
HansSMS
in reply to: rendarin

I was also very concerned once about letting others have all my styles I put together with much sweat and dedication.

That was in 2006. I have gotten over it since.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 7 of 15
mermerCAD
in reply to: HansSMS

That's good to know, Hans. 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 8 of 15
KirkNoonan

Nice.

I think what Hans is saying is that even though you spent lots of time and money developing your styles. They really only have value to you. Nobody is going to go to all of the work to change their whole template from what they are using to whatever you send them. There are many freely available templates and part lists from various D.O.T.'s that offer an excellent starting point for anyone looking to develop a template. Also, If you ever need to get information back from the firm that you are sharing with, it might behoove you to give them something that they can work with.

Message 9 of 15
mermerCAD
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Thank you, Kirk.  That was a much nicer and informative way of conveying the information.  I appreciate it.

Meredith

Message 10 of 15
Joe-Bouza

have you ever been concerned that your blocks, text style, dim styles, layers, etc were hijacked. probably not.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
fcernst

This is tough on your Company Partner... Did you get fired or subpoenaed?

I would suggest figuring out how to honor the request of your boss here and use the Export or XML options. Your boss is at a whole other level here, and has to compete constantly with the other consultants for projects to keep the company viable.

Some suggest worrying about offending the competing consultant you have to turn your drawings over to, that is dangerously naive and not in best interest of your company.

You also need to keep a good record of what you give them in case they change something of yours, and then it ends up going badly, and then blames your portion of the design work for the poor result.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 15
mermerCAD
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks, Fred. No, I have not been fired or subpoenaed.Smiley Happy

It is the company partners who are concerned about the issue for both liability reasons and because the company has invested a lot of time and money in developing a comprehensive template and parts catalog.  We only started using C3D about a year and a half ago, and I am just trying to research the issue for them by finding out what other companies do.  I knew I could purge styles but wasn't sure if there were other options.

What I love about the CAD community is our willingness to share and help each other but not all company owners appreciate this relationship which I understand.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Thanks for the help!

Meredith

Message 13 of 15
fcernst

Ok, I know it's tough relinquishing all that work. 

I like using the export options in the eTransmit routine under the File menu. It also automatically grabs all the supporting files, images and XREF's that are need to support the drawings.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 15
KirkNoonan
in reply to: fcernst

So instead of being a team player, your business model includes obstructing other consultants. I guess it would be okay if you are not worried about burning bridges.

There was a consultant like you in our area. When sharing data, he would place everything on layer 0 after exploding all of the objects in the drawing. Then he would save it with an unregistered educational version of AcutoCAD. It really drove up the costs for his clients and when everyone started sending the same crap back to him, he didn't have the resources or knowledge to get everthing back into a legal dwg format. Sadly, he didn't survive the financial downturn. 

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 15 of 15
fcernst
in reply to: KirkNoonan

No I definitely have never, and do not do any obstructing.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report