Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Assemblies?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
daryl.riggins
297 Views, 5 Replies

Sharing Assemblies?

Hi,

If I've created the world's best assembly of 28-ft back to back curb road cross-section complete with sidewalks and rockin' daylight links, how do I preserve this assembly for the benefit of my coworkers? Is it adding it to a tool palette? Saving to a common drawing for future copy/paste? Some other way?

---
Daryl Riggins, PE
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
doni49
in reply to: daryl.riggins

Once you've used a custom SA, every user who needs to open your dwg file needs to have the SA "installed" on their PC.  To do so, you have to "Import" the subassembly on each PC.

IMHO, this is the biggest problem with using SAC.

I spent HOURS upon HOURS learning to use SAC and developing a custom SA.  But then once I learned of this hinderence, I've started avoiding it as best I can.  Using SAC is now a LAST RESORT proposition.

If your assembly can be done using the OOTB subassemblies, I'd suggest doing that instead.  If you do, you can put the entire assembly in a block.  Then users can insert that block into their dwg file and automatically have access to it.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 6
wfberry
in reply to: doni49

Don:

I did not see where he customized anything.

Bill

Message 4 of 6
daryl.riggins
in reply to: wfberry

Don and Bill,

It's true, I'm not working with anything customized at this point. It may be the case in the future.

What I'm hearing so far is that an assembly can be saved as a block and shared. Does your team have a preferred way for sharing commonly used blocks?
---
Daryl Riggins, PE
Message 5 of 6
doni49
in reply to: wfberry

My bad.  When I saw "I created....", my mind went with "customized". 

Now that you said this, I've re-read the message and agree that he just said he created the assembly which can be done using OOTB subassemblies.

Sorry.

So back to your original question:  If you've created an assembly using OOTB subassemblies, then you don't need to put them on a pallette (unless you WANT to).  You can put the assembly in a block which the users can INSERT as needed.

I think that would be the simplest way.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 6
doni49
in reply to: daryl.riggins

@daryl.riggins wrote:
Don and Bill,

It's true, I'm not working with anything customized at this point. It may be the case in the future.

What I'm hearing so far is that an assembly can be saved as a block and shared. Does your team have a preferred way for sharing commonly used blocks?

We store blocks on the network and insert them from there.  I use the Design Center to get a preview of them before I actually insert them.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report