Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewer Cap/Plug Structures.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
matto235
1716 Views, 6 Replies

Sewer Cap/Plug Structures.

For labeling and automation reasons it would be great if I could have a structure in the gravity structure library that simulates a cap/plug.  These are typically installed on a stub and we always have to label the invert.  A custom block the denotes the feature in plan view and in profile it draws a thick line for only the pipe portion to simulate a cap or plug.  I don't want to manually label this invert and it would be awesome to get a quantity from it a well.  I also typically have to draw in a thick line in profile view to show there is something on the end of the pipe. 

My question is:

How do you show plugs/caps on gravity systems and what structure do you use to do so?  I would appreciate methologies and/or pointers on manipulating existing autocad library structures but I can do something custom I'm not beyond doing that either.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: matto235

Hello,

Attached you will find a PDF copy of the requested inforation. I have built up an extensive library based on the installation/construction of these structures. I have even included in this copy  structure whichconnects to both the sanity sewer and the storm drainage systems. This worked really great in the field at my $80M school site and is widely accepted by most governmental and environmental agencies. Only catch is they wee designed with a dark background, so it would be wise to use a dark background for clity. Hope that this is what you are requesting. If not, rop me a line and i will see what else i can get for you.

Thanks and have a good one 🙂

Rippington

Message 3 of 7
jmayo-EE

A very brief workflow

1. Make a block of the cap for plan view.

2. Make a block of the cap for profile view.

3. Make a structure style that uses the block above to display the cap in plan and profile.

4. Assign this style to any part you want.

Optional

1. Open the generic cylindrical stc in part builder.

2. Review and edit the sizes of the part if required.

3. Save it to a new family called CAP

4. Add the family to your parts list and use the part style above.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
matto235
in reply to: jmayo-EE

jmayo,

going either of the routes you define it is possible to get a structure that only caps the pipe and does not go beyond?  I would basically need to have a structure size for every size of pipe I may use, very doable but I want it to behave correctly with coverage and vertical elevation.  I'm not sure I could get that with the block method.

Message 5 of 7
matto235
in reply to: Anonymous

More after part library methods and strategies in pipe networks but thank you for the reply.
Message 6 of 7
jmayo-EE

" is possible to get a structure that only caps the pipe and does not go beyond? "

Are you asking if the cap can be a terminus/end of a pipe run? Yes. Can you also add a pipe to continue the run after a cap if you want? Yes.

As far as vertical connections go just remove any surface elevation link in the structure properties and reduce the structure height to what you need.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
l_canning
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John

I took the route to make a new part in part builder thus being to easily edit size of block for the different pipe sizes. My problem is i can not get the block to go to the invert of the pipe in profile view it just goes to the top of the pipe. In the stuctures properties i have no reference to any surface or alignment.  In the structure style i tried using both rim and sump as insert with no difference. I am using 2015. I have include a screen shot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report