Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up particular palettes to be shown by default

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
asloat
627 Views, 13 Replies

Setting up particular palettes to be shown by default

I am in the process of setting up Civil3D 2015 for distribution to my users. Part of this involves creating a default profile and CUI, but I am seeing an issue that also was occurring in 2012.

I have created a workspace called "USER" that I have designated to be the default starting workspace for the new profile. I want particular Palettes to display by default when users load this profile; Xref Manager, Layer Properties Manager, Properties, and Toolspace. I want them to be docked on the left and collapsed by default.

Normally I'd expect I would just open these Palettes, set them up to do as I want, and then save over the "USER" workspace with those changes. However when I open CAD again and load the profile, some of the Pallettes are not showing. If I go into the CUI and look at the Palettes status for that workspace, all appear to have the correct parameters to display as I want, but the program seems to be ignoring this.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here? 

CUI.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: asloat

Under the Workspace Settings, is this box checked?

2015-01-28_7-27-57.png

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 14
asloat
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Yes it is.

Message 4 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

In addition to the default profile you want the program to use, you can set the default workspace in the Startup. The pic shows the /p (profile) switch being used.  You can use /w switch to define the workspace you want. You can find all the switches available in the help file under Customize Startup 

.2015-01-28_7-33-03.png

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 5 of 14
asloat

Even if I set the profile and workspace as default, it doesn't solve the problem.

Are you able to have those Pallets set to be loaded by default if you try to do so?

Message 6 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Since the profile and workspace are independent of each other, the only way I know to get them both loaded at the same time is to either set them in the startup line or run a script when the program starts.  You could also create a macro button.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 7 of 14
asloat

The issue is not havinng them both load by default, I am fine with that. The issue is it ignoring the default Palletts set in the workspace.

Message 8 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

The palettes I set in the workspace load just fine in both 2012 and 2015 when I select that workspace. I set them the same as yours to test.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 9 of 14
asloat

Starting to wonder if IT has the install setup in a way that is affecting this negatively.

Message 10 of 14
Jeff_M

Palette display info is saved in the User profile, not the Workspace. It is written to the Profile.aws file saved in the %APPDATA%\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2015\enu\Support\Profiles\<ProfileName> folder. This is written to only upon exit of Autocad. Does that help narrow down why it's not saving as expected?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 14
Bill_Myron

Palettes have everything to do with your PROFILE. The only thing the WORKSPACE will do for Palettes is the location on the screen.

You mentioned that you dont want the default palette loading. A little more information on what you want to have in your palettes and waht you dont want in your palettes woud help.

Just throwing out a few things for you to try and see if one of them will solve your situation.

Options Dialog > Files > Tool Palette File Loctaions 

This is where autocad will look to load the content of your palettes. If you customize your palettes and try to delete any tabs, they will just be reloaded on the next start up.

If you set up Palette Groups, you have total control over the content display of the Palette. Sort them and order them however you want.  Whatever Group you have displaying when you close Autocad will show wehen your re-open.

Message 12 of 14
asloat
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thank you Jeff,

That could help narrow down a culprit. Am I correct to assume that if you customize what palettes are shown and crash before exiting, those changes won't take? That could be part of it, but it also isn't being consistent when not crashing as well. Will look further into it.

Message 13 of 14
Jeff_M

Correct, crash and any changes are lost.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 14 of 14
asloat
in reply to: Jeff_M

So it seems to be working now, though the only thing I did was browse to that file you mentioned and look at it. Maybe a permissions issue was roadblocking it until I did that, otherwise I can't think of anything I did, didn't even save it when I opened it.

The Map task pane refuses to be open by default, though it is an odd duck, so it might be more that than anything. Only issue now is a few of the ribbon buttons are missing their graphics (PALLETTES Toolspace, Prospector, Settings, Survey, Toolbox, Coordinate Tracker, Event Viewer, & Calculator). Though they still function and display as off/on with tooltips. Also missing the icons for Labels and Tables, possibly a bad or missing mnl file.... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report