Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Civil 3D for the first time

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
blakelawson
6926 Views, 7 Replies

Setting up Civil 3D for the first time

Our company just installed Civil 3D for the first time. I am now setting it up with all required standard templates, points, linetypes, survey databases,  assemblies, surface properties, profile and cross section properties. All to make it more user friendly for our company. I am wondering if there is some kind of aid out there to help me do all this in a efficient manner, either files to load, or a document outlining steps to follow, etc.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: blakelawson

First - welcome to the group.

Were you provided with a package of setup data, including the templates and other files that are necessary for your company standards or are you starting from scratch?

If you are working from a package did it come with any documentation?

Edit - I see that your whole company is starting fresh.  Did you receive any data from your reseller or another source?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
NeilSpoon

I am doing the same thing atm.

I work in Britain and just copied the UKIE template and started from that.

If you are new to Civil3D I would definately get the "Mastering Civil3D 2012" book. It has a chapter regarding styles etc.

Also, make an account on AutoDESK University and look at some of the online training. There is a usefull one called "Left out in the CODE" (or somethign similar). That is quite usefull with regards to setting up code styles. You do need to have a subscription centre login to view the video I think.

I am also playing with the Subassembly Composer and will recreate some of the subassemblies to enable more flexibility in terms of what point codes are assigned (ie EC_left & _right, opposed to just EC everywhere, etc) and create subassemblies for details common in our Local Authority (such as a narrow widening detail, specific bus stop kerbs, different footway paving options, etc.)

Hope that helps 🙂

---------------------------------------
Intel Xeon E31230 - 3.20 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional - 64-bit
Nvidia Quadro 600 - 1GB DDR3
---------------------------------------
Message 4 of 8

I always suggest to my students to use the template that comes "out of the box".  It's located in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Template.  The file is called _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt, or the _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Metric) NCS.dwt.

These are great templates to start adding your company standards to.  Most of the work is done for you.  All you will really have to do is alter the styles to match your company's colors and linetypes.

There are many blogs, youtube videos, and documentations for free out there on the great interweb.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 8
dgordon

ask lots of questions here on this site.   There are alot of very good people here that like to help.

There are no stupid questions, only smart arse answers...

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 6 of 8
blakelawson
in reply to: NeilSpoon

The Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D has proven to be quite useful, so thanks.

Next question, I am working on import settings for bringing survey data into AutoCAD Civil 3D. I have all the data bases set up, the way our company would like them, but I am now trying to configure the "Linework Code Sets" to suit our needs.

The way we have done it in the past, using our old software package (RoadEng), the codes we enter into the data collector would look like this: RD1 = road edge 1 (ie. the left side of the road), or CL1 = Centerline 1, or CG1 (Curb and Gutter Line on the left side), etc.

I would like to set it up in the same manner for Civil 3D. Therefore I would like a line to start, without having to type in a 'B' for Begin for instance. I would then like to be able to start my next feature line using the same code, simply by using the next available number (ie. CL2, RD2).

Can anyone help me out with this, or is this even possible with Civil 3D.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
sboon

Not only possible, it's pretty much automatic.  I don't use the survey database very often but I'm pretty certain that if you import data with the codes formatted as you describe and turn on the linework option during the import event then it will connect all of the points with string numbers in order.  Without the control codes however it won't do curves or close figures for you.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 8
J_Seeds
in reply to: sboon

This is how I started from scratch:

1. Populate your DWT with all the layers that you think you will need
  2. Populate your DWT with all of the blocks that you think you will need
  3. Create point styles as needed with the blocks that you have just imported
  4. Create point label styles as needed
  5. Create your Description key file
  6. Create your figure prefix data base
  7. Create your linework code set
  8. Edit your survey database settings and export

This will take care of your points and line work. After that you will need to work on your surface styles, label styles and more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report