Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Civil 3D 2014 to default over Civil 3D 2012

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bnesja
2039 Views, 5 Replies

Setting Civil 3D 2014 to default over Civil 3D 2012

I do not use Civil 2012 but when I try to open a drawing from explorer it defaults to Civil 3D 2012. I know that it should default to the last version used in the windows session but it doesn't. I personally never open plans from the explorer as I always have C3D open to begin with but I can't say the same for my coworkers. As the resident "CAD Tech" I need to be able to correct this problem but I can't figure it out.

Removing 2012 isn't an option as some clients need older version of files. Can somebody help me?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hmartinez5
in reply to: bnesja

Begin by closing all instances of autocad (2012 & 2014). Then open 2014 from the start menu. Then close 2014. Then double click on the DWG to open. It should open it with 2014.

Also make sure that 2012 is not set up to auto-start on boot.

Message 3 of 6
bnesja
in reply to: hmartinez5

Still same results after that process. Checked Startup folder & MSCONFIG and the only autocad application is A360 at startup. I was incorect and it is Architectural Design Suite 2012 that opens the drawings.

Message 4 of 6
rl_jackson

Select a drawing in Explorer - right clicking and select Open With

Select choose default program and set it to 14. You can make it defualt fro all dwg files.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
bnesja
in reply to: rl_jackson

Although this wasn't the exact solution, I wanted to note that a have resolved the issue.

I thought I had selected acad.exe as default numorous times but it kept reverting to AutoCAD Dwg Launcher and not the Program I thought I had selected.

Message 6 of 6
johngordon6189

change the file association in the windows control panel to point .dwg files to the 2014 executable

John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report