Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set version drawings open with

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
234 Views, 2 Replies

Set version drawings open with

How can I specify which version of AutoCAD a particular drawing opens with?

I know I can open the correct version of AutoCAD first, and then browse to the file location and open it within AutoCAD. This is impractical since I work in a very large database where it takes minutes to browse to different locations.

So, I need to be able to double click the file to open it, and have it open in the correct version. How can I "assign" the version to open with?

We have many different versions of Civil 3d and frequently someone will open and then accidentally save a drawing to a newer format. Although we can always just move to the new version,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't think there's any way.  If there was, it would be a Windows problem, not a Cad problem, since it is Windows that assigns the default program for each file extension.

Here's some tips:

• Add folders to the 'Places' list in the Open dialog.  One for each project.
  • Browse in Windows, copy the address from the address bar.  Paste the address into the Open dialog.
  • Close or minimize any drawings inside C3D.  Drag and drop a file from Windows explorer into the blank space to open it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 3
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

think that double clicking in explorer defaults to whatever version was last used and pretty sure it can't be changed

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report