Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set multiple polyline elevations for contour data

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
kas022
7828 Views, 16 Replies

set multiple polyline elevations for contour data

I am working on three different projects at once. For each project, I was sent a drawing with contours as polylines. Each contour is broken up into polylines about fifty feet long each at elevation 0. I am trying to set the polylines to proper elevation without editing each one individually. Each drawing contains several hundred polylines to modify. I was hoping for some sort of way to use a fence and interval (2') with a starting elevation.

I've searched the internet but haven't found a lisp routine to do this. I thought I remember Land Desktop having something like this, but can't seem to find it in Civil 3D 2012. I have found several threads asking the same question. Each time the poster was referred to a blog 7629. That blog unfortunately seems to have been taken down. If I can’t find an answer soon, it looks that my best option would be to retrace each contour which makes me glad to be paid hourly.

Any help would be appreciated to make this easier.

Thanks,

Keith

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
antoniovinci
in reply to: kas022

Check if the contours contain an Elevation attribute as Object Data.

If so, perform a draw query to elevate 'em automatically.

If not, zip and attach the file here, we're gonna give it a look-over, sir.

Message 3 of 17
kas022
in reply to: antoniovinci

These contours came from an old microstatin drawing. I've desparatly searched for any kind of data I could use. Its just plain old polylines.

Thanks though

Message 4 of 17
jmayo-EE

I would see if I could get the Microstaion file opened in Microstation with the hope of exporting an xml or ascii point and breakline file of the surface.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
kas022
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I have the microstation file. We also have microstation. Unfortunatly there is no elevation data.

I'm working on this now by just retracing the contours with polylines. I could use the short segments and match elevation if there was a match elevation function like match propeties. Does anybody know of something like this?

Thanks though.

Message 6 of 17
MikeEvansUK

I presume you know what the contours should be?

Try joining the entities together using Polyline, multiple option then run the 2D contours to 3D contours tool in the tools section of the UKIE Toolbox. Enter the start contour level (low) then end (high) and it will elevate them for you.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 17
kas022
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Yes, I do what the contours should be.

Now, UKIE toolbox? What is this? How do I get to it?

Thanks

Message 8 of 17
Neilw_05

Attached is a tool you can use in Microstation to set the elevations by dragging a line across them (and more). It is called Civil Tools. Do a web search for more info.

Here is some info from the BE Community:

Description

Civil/Site Tools (CivTools) is an application designed for Surveying and Civil/Site users.

NOTE: This utility application includes very basic surveying and civil/site capabilities. The Bentley Road and Site Design Solutions provides much more comprehensive functionality -- click here for more information.

Installation Instructions

CivTools.ma and CivTools.DLL should be copied into the same folder (i.e. ..\mdlapps\).

To load CivTools

Key in: MDL LOAD CIVTOOLS from the Key-in Browser

or

from Utilities > MDL Applications > Browse, select CivTools

The Civil/Site Tools palette displays.

Place Contour

Used to place 3D line-string or curve-strings that represent contours. Turn on the Planar option to place contours. If the Planar option is off, you can key in different elevations for each datapoint to allow breaklines to be easily defined.

Label Contour

Allows you to label contours individually or in groups. You can label groups by striking a line across all the elements to be labeled. Only contours on major or minor contour levels (as defined in the CivTools parameters) are processed.

Place Breakline

Provides the ability to place breaklines as lines or curves at a specific elevation and optionally increment or decrement the elevation of successive vertices.

Place Coordinate

Allows you to place a coordinate marker with the respective Northing and Easting coordinates (and optionally the elevation) of an identified point. You can choose the output prefixes and suffixes as well as the order of the NE or EN coordinate output (the latter is in the Coordinates tab of the Civil Tool Properties dialog).

Modify Contour

Allows you to modify contour vertices without modifying the vertices' elevation.

Set Elevation by Crossing

Modify the elevations of sequential contours (identified by a crossing line) to a user-specified absolute or delta interval.

Set Element Elevation

Enables you to set Z value for all vertices of a line-string, curve-string, or complex-string to a specified value.

Place Spot Elevation

Enables you to place text and an optional marker to marker elevation. The elevation can either be keyed in, or taken from the datapoint elevation.

Place Composite Curve

Provides the ability to place "curves" using straight lines and arcs.

Civil Tools Settings

Allows you to set the level, symbology, and size of the all the elements placed using the Civil/Site tools.

By default, CivTools uses what is set in Settings > Design File... > Working Units > Linear Units for coordinate placement. You can override that with the "Use Design File Settings" setting in this dialog. Note that not all coordinate readout values are available when overriding Design File Working Unit Linear Units.

Please post any questions or comments regarding this utility in the Bentley Library Forum.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 17
TerryDotson

If you were to consider third party software, MapWorks Base contains a PolyContour Assign Elevation tool that lets you simply strike a fence across multiple polyllines, tell it up/down hill and contour interval.

You would want to join the shorts first, a join tool is included that even handles 3dPolys, gap distances, etc.

Message 10 of 17
MikeEvansUK

The tool is part of the Civil3D UKIE country kit which is already on your CD.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 11 of 17
troma

The UKIE Toolbox is presumambly available to users in the UK and Ireland.  Since the OP is using imperial units, I doubt it is an option.

Why such a tool would be provided to some users and not others I can't imagine.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 12 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Why such a tool would be provided to some users and not others I can't imagine.

It can be installed from any C3D installation..although if you use Deployments I would imagine it would need to be included in that. 

You can add the UKIE Content pack after installation by going to Windows' Remove programs, select the version of C3D you are using, at the screen to choose to Uninstall, reinstall, repair, etc., choose Add or Remove Features, then check the UKIE Content.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 17
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Good to know.

Still don't understand why a tool like this would be hidden away in a country kit, even if it is available to all.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 14 of 17
dgordon

Unless you have that tool available there is no need to change the 2d contours to 3d.   I did find a tool I wasn't aware of in the Modify Tab under Design that allows you to directly edit the elevation of a polyline without having to bring up the properties dialogue box.   Unfortunately it only works on one polyline at a time.

Definately use the polyline edit multiple and join the 50 ft segments together rather than editing each segment.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 15 of 17
C3D_TomR

Check this forum post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/Change-poly-topo-elevations-increment...

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 16 of 17
tomtrubo
in reply to: C3D_TomR

sorry to bring this subjetct back to light after that much time, i am what u can call a completeley new CAD user, i was given a dwg file with what i am suppose to call the contours, so i tried making a surface made up of this contours and it did not work at all, then i tryed to check the elevation of each of the lines and the properties menu wont show me any elevation at all, i mean i cant even check if there is an elevation or they are all plane, if u think u can help me i would appreciate it a lot, srry for my english am from Colombia, trying to learn and get a good grade in this...

Message 17 of 17
neilyj666

Can you post a screenshot of the properties pallette when you have a contour selected

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report