Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Location Issue

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
1745 Views, 23 Replies

Set Location Issue

Earlier today, Bing maps was working just fine. Of course, after I somehow lose my progress, I went to redo all of my work to find that when I set the location, only part of the viewport is taken up by the satellite imagery. Also, my when I import shapefiles into the drawing, they do not line up. The coordinate system I set is KY83-N.

I've tried redoing to drawing from a fresh start multiple times with no avail.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 SP2

Attached is what I'm looking at after trying REDRAWALL and REGENALL. Also, attached is the shapefile I'm trying to import.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Amp,

Your Shapefile is in some version of Lats and Longs:

DowPrio1.png

If I set the Shapefile to LL83, it shows up somewhere in Kentucky, but Live Maps doesn't cover your Shapes.

DowPrio2.png

I dunno. Where did you get that Shapefile?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave,

I found it on the Kentucky Geography Network by searching watershed. It's called, "Kentucky Division of Water - Priority Watersheds." I believe, based off of the past few hours of struggling... that KY83 only shows a very specific area of imagery. Therefore, trying a coordinate system like World Mercator would be ideal, since it encompasses the area that I need (Boyle County, KY), and then some . The unfortunate part, is that no other coordinate system (that I have tried so far) seems to work for the shapefile. By work, I just mean that the shapefile wont convert to the drawing's coordinate system.

By setting the shapfiles to LL83, do you mean you set the drawing's Coordinate System to LL83 or are you talking about the input coordinate system? Is it just me, or does the shapefile not convert to another coordinate system besides LL83?

Attached to this post is another shapefile that may make more sense and both its .prj file and that of the watershed shapefile you already have. Not sure if the .prj files will help, but I attached them anyway.

I really apreciate your help at this hour! I didn't expect to see a response till later this morning.

-Andres

Message 4 of 24
Pointdump

Andres,

I set the drawing to KY83-NF and FDO'ed in the Shapefile as LL84. The Shapefile is almost 400 miles wide, so I'm guessing that is the problem. I'll try your other files right now.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 24
Pointdump

Andres,

I can see what County_Line_sps.shp looks like in QGIS, but I can't bring it into C3D:

County.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 24
Pointdump

Andres,

Finally got the County Lines into a drawing, but I can't get them to agree with the Watersheds SHP. Perplexing.

County1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 24
rl_jackson
in reply to: Pointdump

You might try setting up a drawing in a metric system and use map to convert it to survey feet. There could be an issue with the data not coverting from metric to feet.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 24
Murph_Map

When you inported the shp file did you slect the correct coordinate system that the shp file is in? 

With C3D or Map3D when you have objects in the dwg AND assigned a coordinate system to the dwg you do NOT need to set a location for Bing maps, that is for non civil/gis users only that know know coordinate systems. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph,

The shapefiles came with .prj files that automatically include the input coordinates when using IMPORTMAP. At least, I think that's how it works. Either way, I did not change the input coordinates.

rl_Jackson,

I believe I tried that how you explained it and it did not work.

Dave,

I found a cool LINK showing the limited area that KY83(-S,-N) covers. From now on I'll try using KY83 single zone, but so far it only works with the county lines and watershed. It has not worked with two other shapefiles, one of which is attached to this post.

Thus far, only LL83 has had everything in the correct spot. The issue with LL83 is that Bing Maps does not allow me to capture the area

Message 10 of 24
sboon

This appears to be the same issue that I commented on in your other thread.  Please post a screenshot of the transformation tab for your drawing.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

set_location.png

Message 12 of 24
sboon

When Map is used to set your coordinate system it inserts grid and local values into this tab.  Even though you have the tab turned off Map still uses them to apply a translation to the data being imported.  This bug is almost certainly the reason why your shapefiles are in the wrong location, and why the Bing map appears to be in the wrong spot.

Turn on the tab and make the local values match the grid ones.  You can turn it back off again if you want, then try importing the shapes again.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

Where do I find the grid values?

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous

This is what I have so far. Two shapefiles that are in the correct spot and two that are not. If I change the transformation tab, while possibly fixing the two that are off, wouldn't it also displace the ones that are correctly placed?

current_progress.PNG

Message 15 of 24
sboon

Turn on the tab and make the local values match the grid ones.  You can turn it back off again if you want, then try importing the shapes again.

Correction - make the grid values match local.

Clipboard01.png

Copy the numbers from the red box and paste them into the blue box.  If I am right you should see the Bing image suddenly shift to the correct location, and if you reimport the two bad shapefiles they should also come into the correct location.

I'm guessing that you imported the first two shapefiles then did something that caused the bug to kick in and screw up the transformation tab before importing the other files.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous

Wow...ok. That was a horrible experience to go through.

After doing as you suggested, Steve, it didn't necessarily work (Perhaps it's the way it works with this bug). However, once I re-imported the shapefiles, they all converged to one spot, but the imagery didn't follow until I reset the location. For a second, everything was as it should be, but then I zoomed and it the imagery changed to somewhere near Finland. After copying the local values to the grid values again (they were both zero), I was sent to some other part in the world. I essentially did another interation of the same process and then it finally worked. After capturing what I needed, I went back to check the transformation tab and the local values were 0, and the grid was another number.

Each time I was reseting the grid values and then setting the location.

Thanks everyone for the help.

-Andres

Message 17 of 24
sboon

That's the worst part; I'm fairly certain that I understand what the problem is, and I can usually reproduce it by comparing a metric UTM drawing to Google Earth but it's not 100% consistent.  Sometimes it works the way it should.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

Hey Steve,

Would you happen to know why AutoCAD is, "Unable to update Geomap Image?"

I'm trying to change to aerial imagery rather than hybrid, but it refuses.

whatnow.png

Message 19 of 24
sboon

Not a clue, sorry. Smiley Sad

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 20 of 24
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Steve,

Would you happen to know why AutoCAD is, "Unable to update Geomap Image?"

I'm trying to change to aerial imagery rather than hybrid, but it refuses.

Network hic-cup on your end, A360 or even on Bing maps end. Is that a captured area image or still a live image?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report