Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set default location for new Pt Cloud DB?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
doni49
245 Views, 3 Replies

Set default location for new Pt Cloud DB?

I'm using C3D 2014 to create new point clouds.  We want the pt cloud db to be stored on the network with the other project data.  But every time I create a new pt cloud, the default location for the PT Cloud DB is back to "My Documents".

Where do I change the default location?  I looked on the settings tab of Toolspace but wasn't able to find such a setting.

TIA!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I was previously working in a new dwg file on which I hadn't done the initial save -- I figured I'd import a couple clouds and then save (and re-save ever every 2-3 clouds) have been brought in.  Once I saved the dwg file, the default location for the new point cloud databses changed to the same location as the dwg file.  That's still not what we want.

But in addition to that, it won't let me CHANGE location.

As you can see from the first screen shot, I've specified a location for my ISD file.  Then in the second screenshot, you can see the filename that it created for the DB -- they DON'T MATCH.

CreatePtCloud1.pngCreatePtCloud2.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
johngordon6189

I have found no way of setting a default save location.  Seems as this is just one of those things you always have to just deal with, as a user may want to save point cloud databases where ever they like.

John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 4 of 4
AllenJessup

I don't know much about it but this if from help - "Understanding Point Clouds"

The point cloud database is a collection of three files: .iati, .isd, and .prmd. The ISD (.isd) file format is the primary point cloud database format.

They may limit where the ISD file is stored to avoid breaking links with the other files. Just a big guess on my part.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report