Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set alignment creation defaults (layer and options)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
wdprice3
3700 Views, 6 Replies

Set alignment creation defaults (layer and options)

I have quite a few alignments to create and would rather not have to set the layer and conversion options for each. I'd like all to be on the same layer (that is already defined in the drawing) and to change the conversion options both off. I've been looking through the settings table in TS, but haven't found anywhere to change the default layer and conversion option states. Currently, the create alignment from objects defaults are to have alignments on independent layers (Model-Alignment*, where * adds the alignment name as a suffix to the layer name) and both conversion options are on. Any help would be appreciated
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: wdprice3

From the Settings tab in Toolspace, right click on the drawing name, choose Edit Drawing Settings, then change to the Object Layers tab

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 7
troma
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

& if you go to the same place, switch to the 'Ambient Settings' tab > General > Save Command Changes to Settings > Yes.
Then you should only have to set things once, AFAIK.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 7
Jeff_M

You can set the command settings directly. Go toe Settings->Alignment->Commands->Create alignment entities, right click, Edit command settings, Create from Entities.

While troma's suggestion will work, I don't like having that setting on as it can adversely affect other settings that you may only want to change once. But as long as you are aware of it's setting it can be useful (I haven't used it in 5 years, better to change each command setting as you need, imho).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 7
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff. I knew that was somewhere.
The OP talked about 'converting' to an alignment, I'm guessing from a polyline. Can you confirm this setting works for creating an alignment from polyline? I was looking in CreateAlignFromExisting and I couldn't find the setting. That's why I pointed to the Ambient setting instead. I presumed creating from a polyline would be controlled by CreateAlignFromExisting .

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

No, those settings are for creating an alignment from an existing alignment. The Create from Entities are for converting AutoCAD lines, arcs, polylines
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 7
wdprice3

Thanks to all! Found both settings locations thanks to your posts. I knew they were buried somewhere in the settings tab. I've never seen the object layers settings before - going to be very useful. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report