AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
tnochomson
Message 11 of 18 (105 Views)

Re: Service Pack 1 Network Install MSP Problem

02-02-2004 07:00 AM in reply to: tnochomson
Matt thanks for all of your suggestions but I'm still not able to create or modify an Admin Image to include SP1 for Civil 3D. I would really like to let my staff start experimenting with this product, but I don't want to install it without SP1. Any other ideas?

-Todd
derrico
Message 12 of 18 (105 Views)

02-02-2004 07:07 AM in reply to: tnochomson
I am also having the same problem.

Using the Civil3D CD I have no problem creating and installing a network deployment. I tried to use the Live Update with the patch list to install SP 1 per the Read me file. I opened Civil3D was notified about the update, began the update process and when I selected update from the html screen I kept receiving error 1624.

I have downloaded the Network Installation Wizard Patch and attempted to apply the SP to the existing network image and received the file name is to long error.

I then attempted to create a new network deployment and apply the patch directly to it and received the same response. While the wizard attempts to apply the patch it gets hung. The install meter only moves 1/4 and nothing happens. I left it overnight hoping that it would move, but when I returned the meter was in the same position.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Message was edited by: derrico
Message was edited by: derrico
*Matt Osborn
Message 13 of 18 (105 Views)

02-02-2004 07:24 AM in reply to: tnochomson
The network clients can always apply the SP locally using the standard single-user patch executable. That, of course, is the only way to patch an existing client install. Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:13064590.1075734061700.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Matt thanks for all of your suggestions but I'm still not able to create or modify an Admin Image to include SP1 for Civil 3D. I would really like to let my staff start experimenting with this product, but I don't want to install it without SP1. Any other ideas? > > -Todd
Valued Contributor
tnochomson
Message 14 of 18 (105 Views)

02-02-2004 10:34 AM in reply to: tnochomson
I think there is a serious problem with the network deployment process related to applying patches, in Civil 3D. I cannot even apply the standard single-user patch executable to my PC. I am only having this problem with installation of the service pack. The original network deployment works just fine.

I have not had any problems with any of the other products we are using (Land Desktop Sp2, Civil Design Sp2, Survey, Raster Design, CAiCE).

I am running the Network Wizard with the latest patch.

I guess my main question is ....Has anyone been sucessful installing Civil3D SP1 using a Network Deployment licensed through a license server?

I am about to give up on this product until Autodesk is finished beta testing (preview releasing) it.

-Todd
*Matt Osborn
Message 15 of 18 (105 Views)

02-02-2004 12:19 PM in reply to: tnochomson
Yes, I have tested the creation and deployment of a network client install patched to SP1 (I'm actually using it right now). Let me outline the steps: Create a Civil 3D admin image using the Network Installation Wizard. Make sure your NIW has been patched (one DLL to update) for the next step. Start the NIW and select Modify admin image. Select the MSI of your Civil 3D admin image. Select the appropriate SP1 patch (in MSP format, that you extracted from the EXE) that matches your install type (domestic or international, civil design or civil series license). You can choose create or modify deployment, it doesn't matter (you're going to delete them anyway). When the NIW is finished, the admin image will be patched to SP1 (any new deployments you create from it will be patched). You may delete any existing deployments you have (shortcuts and MST files), including the one you just created, as they are corrupt (that is a bug). Start the NIW again and select Modify admin image. Select the MSI of your Civil 3D SP1 admin image. Create a new deployment. Use the new deployment to install on your client. Client will be running SP1. If this doesn't work for you then you need to contact product support so they can figure out where the breakdown is. Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:20462224.1075746895933.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > I think there is a serious problem with the network deployment process related to applying patches, in Civil 3D. I cannot even apply the standard single-user patch executable to my PC. I am only having this problem with installation of the service pack. The original network deployment works just fine. > > I have not had any problems with any of the other products we are using (Land Desktop Sp2, Civil Design Sp2, Survey, Raster Design, CAiCE). > > I am running the Netowkr Wizard with the latest patch. > > I guess my main question is ....Has anyone been sucessful installing Civil3D SP1 using a Network Deployment licensed through a license server? > > I am about to give up on this product until Autodesk is finished beta testing (preview releasing) it. > > -Todd
Valued Contributor
tnochomson
Message 16 of 18 (105 Views)

02-03-2004 07:02 AM in reply to: tnochomson
Matt,

IT WORKED !!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sticking with the topic this far. I'm sure your last message is what you were saying in your first message. Since it was more detailed, I followed it line for line and understood what you meant at the end.

The key that I didn't complete follow originally was that the deployments (shortcuts and MST files), including the one I had just created were corrupt (which was the bug I was experiencing). Once I deleted them and created a new deployment from the MSI of my Civil 3D SP1 admin image, then used that deployment to install on my client....IT WORKED !

I am looking forward towards becoming more familiar with this product now.

Matt, thanks again.

Regards,
Todd Nochomson
Miller Legg & Associates, Inc.
Creating Florida's Future
*Matt Osborn
Message 17 of 18 (105 Views)

02-03-2004 07:27 AM in reply to: tnochomson
Excellent! When the bug was discovered it was unfortunately too late to get it documented in the README for the release. Our tech support is aware of the problem and can help customers through the process. Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:25820525.1075820596128.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Matt, > > IT WORKED !!!!!!! > > Thank you so much for sticking with the topic this far. I'm sure your last message is what you were saying in your first message. Since it was more detailed, I followed it line for line and understood what you meant at the end. > > The key that I didn't complete follow originally was that the deployments (shortcuts and MST files), including the one I had just created were corrupt (which was the bug I was experiencing). Once I deleted them and created a new deployment from the MSI of my Civil 3D SP1 admin image, then used that deployment to install on my client....IT WORKED ! > > I am looking forward towards becoming more familiar with this product now. > > Matt, thanks again. > > Regards, > Todd Nochomson > Miller Legg & Associates, Inc. > Creating Florida's Future
derrico
Message 18 of 18 (105 Views)

02-03-2004 11:09 AM in reply to: tnochomson
Matt,

Thanks for the detailed outline of the installation procedure! I was finally able to apply SP 1 to the install image.

Charles
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.