Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Pack 1 Network Install MSP Problem

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
tnochomson
451 Views, 17 Replies

Service Pack 1 Network Install MSP Problem

I created a network deployment of Civil 3D 2004 which installed perfectly. I recently downloaded Service Pack 1 and extracted an MSP file, as instructed in the Readme_sp1_c3d_2004.htm file. Every time I try to apply the MSP file to my network deployment, it locks up the PC.

Any suggestions? Please help!!!

Regards,
Todd Nochomson
CAD Systems Manager
Miller Legg & Associates, Inc.
Creating Florida's Future
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: tnochomson

I uninstalled Civil 3d on my computer then created a new installation and applied the patch. This was the only way I could get it to work. Conan Witzel "tnochomson" wrote in message news:23877621.1075389225617.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I created a network deployment of Civil 3D 2004 which installed perfectly. I recently downloaded Service Pack 1 and extracted an MSP file, as instructed in the Readme_sp1_c3d_2004.htm file. Every time I try to apply the MSP file to my network deployment, it locks up the PC. > > Any suggestions? Please help!!! > > Regards, > Todd Nochomson > CAD Systems Manager > Miller Legg & Associates, Inc. > Creating Florida's Future
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Are you're saying that the Network Installation Wizard is locking up when you try to apply the MSP to the Admin image of the deployment? At what point does it lock up? Matt matthew.osborn@autodesk.com Software Engineer Autodesk, Inc. Infrastructure Solutions Division 100 Commercial Street Manchester, NH 03101 "tnochomson" wrote in message news:23877621.1075389225617.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I created a network deployment of Civil 3D 2004 which installed perfectly. I recently downloaded Service Pack 1 and extracted an MSP file, as instructed in the Readme_sp1_c3d_2004.htm file. Every time I try to apply the MSP file to my network deployment, it locks up the PC. > > Any suggestions? Please help!!! > > Regards, > Todd Nochomson > CAD Systems Manager > Miller Legg & Associates, Inc. > Creating Florida's Future
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

I had issues with applying the MSP to the installation image as well. Threw out a bad cab error, and I just gave up. This was on a brand new image that I'd made only 10 minutes previously. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

There is an MSP file posted on the support web site. Have you tried using this one? I'm literally about an hour away from starting a network install and it would be good to know if this MSP file causes the problems as well. -- Mark Scacco "tnochomson" wrote in message news:23877621.1075389225617.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I created a network deployment of Civil 3D 2004 which installed perfectly. I recently downloaded Service Pack 1 and extracted an MSP file, as instructed in the Readme_sp1_c3d_2004.htm file. Every time I try to apply the MSP file to my network deployment, it locks up the PC. > > Any suggestions? Please help!!! > > Regards, > Todd Nochomson > CAD Systems Manager > Miller Legg & Associates, Inc. > Creating Florida's Future
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

oops, wrong product! I'm doing a LD 2004 and that's the MSP file that's on the web. -- Mark Scacco "Mark Scacco" wrote in message news:40197740_2@newsprd01... > There is an MSP file posted on the support web site. Have you tried using > this one? I'm literally about an hour away from starting a network install > and it would be good to know if this MSP file causes the problems as well. > > -- > Mark Scacco > > > "tnochomson" wrote in message > news:23877621.1075389225617.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I created a network deployment of Civil 3D 2004 which installed perfectly. > I recently downloaded Service Pack 1 and extracted an MSP file, as > instructed in the Readme_sp1_c3d_2004.htm file. Every time I try to apply > the MSP file to my network deployment, it locks up the PC. > > > > Any suggestions? Please help!!! > > > > Regards, > > Todd Nochomson > > CAD Systems Manager > > Miller Legg & Associates, Inc. > > Creating Florida's Future > >
Message 7 of 18
tnochomson

Matt,

Yes, it's locking up when I'm trying to apply the MSP to the admin image of the deployment. I get to the last screen where it verifies all of the directory path information. Then it brings up a progress bar. When that is complete it prompts me to click "next", and then brings up two different progress bars. And finally, it locks up the PC.

The first time I tried to apply it, I received a message saying that it didn't like how long the path location name was for the patch file so I moved the MSP to a shorter folder location.

The second time I tried to create an admin image with the service pack, I created a brand new deployment and tried to apply the MSP during it's initial creation, but that failed as well.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time and involvement.

Regards,
Todd Nochomson
tnochomson@millerlegg.com
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

> The first time I tried to apply it, I received a message saying that it didn't like how long the path location name was for the patch file so I moved the MSP to a shorter folder location. Is this message from the NIW or when you actually try to install the deployment? If you're getting this error when you click the link to install the deployment, here's the fix: Delete all your old deployment links and their associated MST files (found in the Admin directory). Start up the NIW and choose Modify Admin image. Create a new deployment (deployment creation is fast... it's the Admin creation and patching that take time). The new deployment will be good, and it will install the patched Admin image. Matt
Message 9 of 18
tnochomson

Matt,

Thanks again for the reply.

I'm getting this message from the NW. I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "Delete all your old deployment links". I found the MST file in the admin folder. If you can elaborate regarding the deployment links, then I'll give it a shot.

-Todd
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

By deployment links I'm referring to the files you click to install on the client. (they have the same names as what you called the deployments) They are just links to the MST files (that you are removing). Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:27097263.1075415314357.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Matt, > > Thanks again for the reply. > > I'm getting this message from the NW. I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "Delete all your old deployment links". I found the MST file in the admin folder. If you can elaborate regarding the deployment links, then I'll give it a shot. > > -Todd
Message 11 of 18
tnochomson

Matt thanks for all of your suggestions but I'm still not able to create or modify an Admin Image to include SP1 for Civil 3D. I would really like to let my staff start experimenting with this product, but I don't want to install it without SP1. Any other ideas?

-Todd
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

I am also having the same problem.

Using the Civil3D CD I have no problem creating and installing a network deployment. I tried to use the Live Update with the patch list to install SP 1 per the Read me file. I opened Civil3D was notified about the update, began the update process and when I selected update from the html screen I kept receiving error 1624.

I have downloaded the Network Installation Wizard Patch and attempted to apply the SP to the existing network image and received the file name is to long error.

I then attempted to create a new network deployment and apply the patch directly to it and received the same response. While the wizard attempts to apply the patch it gets hung. The install meter only moves 1/4 and nothing happens. I left it overnight hoping that it would move, but when I returned the meter was in the same position.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Message was edited by: derrico
Message was edited by: derrico
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

The network clients can always apply the SP locally using the standard single-user patch executable. That, of course, is the only way to patch an existing client install. Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:13064590.1075734061700.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Matt thanks for all of your suggestions but I'm still not able to create or modify an Admin Image to include SP1 for Civil 3D. I would really like to let my staff start experimenting with this product, but I don't want to install it without SP1. Any other ideas? > > -Todd
Message 14 of 18
tnochomson

I think there is a serious problem with the network deployment process related to applying patches, in Civil 3D. I cannot even apply the standard single-user patch executable to my PC. I am only having this problem with installation of the service pack. The original network deployment works just fine.

I have not had any problems with any of the other products we are using (Land Desktop Sp2, Civil Design Sp2, Survey, Raster Design, CAiCE).

I am running the Network Wizard with the latest patch.

I guess my main question is ....Has anyone been sucessful installing Civil3D SP1 using a Network Deployment licensed through a license server?

I am about to give up on this product until Autodesk is finished beta testing (preview releasing) it.

-Todd
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Yes, I have tested the creation and deployment of a network client install patched to SP1 (I'm actually using it right now). Let me outline the steps: Create a Civil 3D admin image using the Network Installation Wizard. Make sure your NIW has been patched (one DLL to update) for the next step. Start the NIW and select Modify admin image. Select the MSI of your Civil 3D admin image. Select the appropriate SP1 patch (in MSP format, that you extracted from the EXE) that matches your install type (domestic or international, civil design or civil series license). You can choose create or modify deployment, it doesn't matter (you're going to delete them anyway). When the NIW is finished, the admin image will be patched to SP1 (any new deployments you create from it will be patched). You may delete any existing deployments you have (shortcuts and MST files), including the one you just created, as they are corrupt (that is a bug). Start the NIW again and select Modify admin image. Select the MSI of your Civil 3D SP1 admin image. Create a new deployment. Use the new deployment to install on your client. Client will be running SP1. If this doesn't work for you then you need to contact product support so they can figure out where the breakdown is. Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:20462224.1075746895933.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > I think there is a serious problem with the network deployment process related to applying patches, in Civil 3D. I cannot even apply the standard single-user patch executable to my PC. I am only having this problem with installation of the service pack. The original network deployment works just fine. > > I have not had any problems with any of the other products we are using (Land Desktop Sp2, Civil Design Sp2, Survey, Raster Design, CAiCE). > > I am running the Netowkr Wizard with the latest patch. > > I guess my main question is ....Has anyone been sucessful installing Civil3D SP1 using a Network Deployment licensed through a license server? > > I am about to give up on this product until Autodesk is finished beta testing (preview releasing) it. > > -Todd
Message 16 of 18
tnochomson

Matt,

IT WORKED !!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sticking with the topic this far. I'm sure your last message is what you were saying in your first message. Since it was more detailed, I followed it line for line and understood what you meant at the end.

The key that I didn't complete follow originally was that the deployments (shortcuts and MST files), including the one I had just created were corrupt (which was the bug I was experiencing). Once I deleted them and created a new deployment from the MSI of my Civil 3D SP1 admin image, then used that deployment to install on my client....IT WORKED !

I am looking forward towards becoming more familiar with this product now.

Matt, thanks again.

Regards,
Todd Nochomson
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

Excellent! When the bug was discovered it was unfortunately too late to get it documented in the README for the release. Our tech support is aware of the problem and can help customers through the process. Matt "tnochomson" wrote in message news:25820525.1075820596128.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Matt, > > IT WORKED !!!!!!! > > Thank you so much for sticking with the topic this far. I'm sure your last message is what you were saying in your first message. Since it was more detailed, I followed it line for line and understood what you meant at the end. > > The key that I didn't complete follow originally was that the deployments (shortcuts and MST files), including the one I had just created were corrupt (which was the bug I was experiencing). Once I deleted them and created a new deployment from the MSI of my Civil 3D SP1 admin image, then used that deployment to install on my client....IT WORKED ! > > I am looking forward towards becoming more familiar with this product now. > > Matt, thanks again. > > Regards, > Todd Nochomson > Miller Legg & Associates, Inc. > Creating Florida's Future
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

Matt,

Thanks for the detailed outline of the installation procedure! I was finally able to apply SP 1 to the install image.

Charles

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report