Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Box Labels

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Rainman1
453 Views, 9 Replies

Service Box Labels

Please see attachment. We always put in the distance/direction for the location of the Sevice Box in relation to a corner of the house. Is there a way to place this label without having to actually measuring the distances (which is what we do now)? We can label structures/PI's/etc. in relation to an alignment but this has to be in relation to a house.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mathewkol
in reply to: Rainman1

I am unable to see the pdf on my bb, but what about creating a feature line with a style that is no-plot and then label that line?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 10
Rainman1

The thing is, the service box has to be labeled in relation to the corner of a house. Eg. 4m North-2m West. So you are suggesting create a feature line with the house footprint or the service box label? It is basically the same as labeling a structure in relation to an alignment...but in this case it is labeling a service box in relation to the corner of a house. If you could see my .pdf you would get a better understanding. Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
mathewkol

I see what you mean now.  Yes, it can be done with a feature line, it's label and two expressions; one for Delta X and one for Delta Y.  Just make the FL style/layer so it doesn't plot.

abs({General Segment Start X}-{General Segment End X})

abs({General Segment Start Y}-{General Segment End Y})

The yellow is the building, the white is the feature line.

1.png

Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 10
Rainman1

Yes, that is what I am looking for. Problem is, I have no idea what this is:

abs({General Segment Start X}-{General Segment End X})

abs({General Segment Start Y}-{General Segment End Y})

I guess your talking about writing code?? Essentially creating a label style?????

Message 6 of 10
mathewkol

This tutorial will explain what an expression is and how to apply them.  I have attached a DWG in 2013/2014 format.

Create the expression here.

1.png

Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 10
Rainman1
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks for your time. I will give it a try. We are running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012, therefore I am unable to open your drawing.

Message 8 of 10
Rainman1

Went through the tutorial and made the edits to the labels as per the instructions....nothing changed. Thanks for your suggestions but I think without the proper training this can be very hard to accomplish. I have never written code or expressions before. I will contact our support for help.

Message 9 of 10
troma

Expressions, like most things, are easy when you know how.

The first step is to make the expression. (& make sure to give is a good, recognizable name.) Matt showed you where. I would ask Matt what to Format the result of the expression as. (I think there are two expressions involved; one for easting, one for northing.)
The next step is using it in a label. Here is where the good name comes in handy. When you go into the text editor in your label style and drop down the available data you can add, you will see your expression in the list.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 10
mathewkol
in reply to: troma

Troma, you are correct, there are two expressoins.  They need to be formatted as Double so theat the precision can be controlled through the style.

Matt Kolberg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report