Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting Breaklines where are grips?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
randcdavidson
611 Views, 9 Replies

Selecting Breaklines where are grips?

Using the select breaklines in the prospector doesn't do much of anything in my case. Zoom to Breakline works but how do you determine one particular breakline in the bunch if theye were never named?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
troma
in reply to: randcdavidson

Try inserting into the drawing and see what it does.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 10
randcdavidson
in reply to: troma

Thanks never knew that existed. Although it didn't make any difference (did not work) what is that command even for? The breaklines are already in the drawing would that be for a surface that was imported form something else like a data shortcut?

Message 4 of 10
troma

I thought it would recreate them in the drawing, redraw the object on top of the existing breakline which would help you to see which one it is from the prospector to the model space.

Another thing to try is to use the 'zoom to' command and then zoom realtime in the drawing space (not with scroll wheel).  This allows you to zoom to the centre of the view, not where the mouse is, so you end up zooming in on the exact point that the view has been centred on.  This can help you to find which object it is that you've been zoomed to.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 10
randcdavidson

Yeah have been having to use that. It's fine when breaklines are several hundred feet away from each other but not when they are close. I pretty much have to use zoom to then see the number of vertices associated with the breakline in the set. I then start selecting polylines until I find the one with the correct vertices, hopefully the nearest ones have a different number of vertices.

Select points grips work Where are my grips for select breaklines. If only that worked!

Message 6 of 10
troma

So many things in C3D seem to be 'a good idea if it worked'.  Wish they'd release a version that had no new features, none at all, but just made everything work as advertised!

Mark Green

Message 7 of 10
randcdavidson

Yeah . I have a feeling the code for "Select" under breaklines says "coming soon to a release near you"

Message 8 of 10
Jeff_M

Interesting, the Select option when righ-clicking a Breakline in Propsector selects the Surface. So no matter which breakline, or breakline group, you select, all you ever get is the surface itself (at least in 2012).

However, Robert, to help you determine which one you need the EntityTracker command in SincpacC3D (which you have) may be of some help. If a polyline or featureline is used in a surface as a breakline, it will show you the surface name and breakline name:

12-3-2012 9-35-22 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 10
randcdavidson
in reply to: Jeff_M

Ah ye ole entity tracker. Great that will work perfect. Thanks Jeff.

Message 10 of 10
BrianHailey

@randcdavidson wrote:

Thanks never knew that existed. Although it didn't make any difference (did not work) what is that command even for? The breaklines are already in the drawing would that be for a surface that was imported form something else like a data shortcut?

If you create proximity breaklines or erase the entity that was used to create the breaklines (you have to turn on an option to allow deleting the entity from the drawing and keeping it in the surface), that command will put the breaklines back in the drawing. I'm guessing (can't really test right now as this computer doesn't have C3D) that if you create breaklines from a file you can use this command to insert them into the drawing as well.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report