Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select using WP or CP

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
TimGIS
2823 Views, 8 Replies

Select using WP or CP

Hi All - I cannot seem to actual select or add to Selection Set using the Select --> CP/WP option.

The objects are highlighted but not selected. Therefore I cannot change the color for all the objects example.

I follow these precise steps (in the link) and end up with highlighted items but not "selected" items. The final enter command actually de-highlights to objects.

It works if you start with a modify command first such as move, and only then perform the CP/WP but that doesn't appear to be the case in the video. It would really help me out if in the end, the objects are actually selected with anchors in which i can do other things then modify.

http://screencast.com/t/5LE7obOkK

Thanks in advance,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: TimGIS

Your PICKFIRST system variable is likely set to 0. Change it to 1.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
thepworth
in reply to: Jeff_M

If it's not PICKFIRST then check PICKADD and make sure it is 1 also.

Message 4 of 9
TimGIS
in reply to: thepworth

They were both set to 1

Pickfirst = 1

Pickadd = 1

Any other pick ideas??

Thanks,

Message 5 of 9
mathewkol

Are the layers locked?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 9
thepworth

I'm a little confused when I look at your screen capture again - you're invoking two selection tools outside of a command - select & qselect.  if you use a command first (eg "chprop" to change properties), do you get the same effect?

Or, if you want to add to or change your selection set, try typing "A" for Add or "R" for Remove....

Message 7 of 9
thepworth

duh!!!!

On the bottom of the qselect dialog box, check the box for "append to selection set...."

By the way, if you want to add/remove, then do so while the command prompt still says "select objects"

Message 8 of 9
TimGIS

Thanks for the replies.

The layers are not locked.

The video is not mine. The author has not invoked any modify/chprop or any other command proir to Select, WP, Click for polygon verticies, Enter, Enter. (18 sec marker) 

At that point he has selected elements with anchors.

After that he does a qselect for some logic selections but that is irrelevant.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what is the fundamental difference between 1. highlight and 2. selection and how do I get highlighted objects to become selected(showing anchors).

Once objects are selected and showing anchors then I can invoke quick action such as change layer or change color from the toolbars/panels/ribbons.

Thanks Gang,

Message 9 of 9
thepworth

Sounds like you're as "up" on it then as the rest of us as long as you're aware of the pickfirst setting (also refered to as "noun-verb selection").  Back in the day, aka LDD / Softdesk, some routines were notorious for turning off the pickfirst/pickadd settings and not re-enabling if the routine was cancelled before completion.  

Note that in addition to add/remove you can also use (P)revious as a selection group if pickfirst is turned off - check the icons up at the top of the "change properties" palette.

Best of Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report