Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select All Objects Pertaining to a Surface's Definition

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
nick_pfister
736 Views, 11 Replies

Select All Objects Pertaining to a Surface's Definition

I searched thoroughly before posting this, but -- even though I'm somewhat of an ACAD novice -- I think/hope this is something I should be able to do.

I would like to quickly/easily select, and isolate, specific surfaces, with their accompanying contours, breaklines etc., so that I can work on these surfaces without the rest of my work interfering/obscuring.

Any ideas? I would put everything on the same layer, or some such, but I prefer to be able to organize what I add to surfaces in different layers, to be turned off as needed.

Thanks!! 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: nick_pfister

Can you be a bit more specific as I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. Are you talking about autocad surfaces or civil 3D surfaces?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 12
nick_pfister
in reply to: neilyj666

I am referring to a Civil 3D surface. I edit, and add to, it by using the 'Prospector' tab, but want to be able to isolate the surface, along with all of the objects etc. that contribute to it, so that I can see the surface (to edit it) without it being obstructed by the rest of my drawing.

Thanks!

Nick Pfister, EIT - Staff Engineer
HOLM, BLOUGH AND COMPANY
1402 Stampede Avenue
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 586-1554
[npfister@hbco.us]
www.hbco.us
Message 4 of 12
nick_pfister

And when I speak of "the objects etc. that contribute to it," I am referring to everything under the 'Definition' part of the 'Surfaces' portion of the 'Prospector' tab. Hope this is clearer! 

Message 5 of 12
neilyj666

Just select the surface and isolate it. I dont think it is possible to select the objects that make it although you could just freeze the layers that the breaklines are on.

Ensure you have the triangles turned on in the surface style and you can edit the TIN lines as much as you need.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
nick_pfister

What I am really trying to do is manipulate and change my surface by adding user-created contours, breaklines etc. I don’t keep all of these objects on the same layer, but would like to be able to isolate them, along with the actual surface, so that I can continue to define the surface.

When I isolate the surface, and turn on triangles, it seems like I am able to add and delete lines to and from the surface, but what I want to be able to do is define my surface by adding user-created contours and breaklines.

My end goal is to create a surface (usually for a drainage/grading plan) that is properly graded, and from which I can then export points for our surveyors to use for construction staking. Maybe I’m doing this in an overly tedious way, and can achieve my goal with a simpler ACAD function? Sorry for my ignorance, and thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Message 7 of 12
neilyj666

Create a Layer State with only the relevant object's layers turned on?

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
nick_pfister

That’s definitely quicker than manually selecting each object every time I go to isolate! I wish I could just select everything that belongs to my surface, but I’ll try this for now. Thanks againSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
sboon

This can be done if you use Civil3d to organize your data.  I usually create a Site for my surveyed surface breaklines and a dedicated point group for the surface definition.  I can use Toolspace to select the group, the site and the surface then use IsolateObjects.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 12
Hidden_Brain

I usually create a layer filter in layer manager called TIN-DEF which has all the layers for the surface definition objects.
Message 11 of 12
nick_pfister
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

After working through this for a while, I've found the solution that works best for me is to create a 'Layer State' that has everything that pertains to the surface turned on (with everything else turned off). This makes it quick and easy to work on surfaces without the confusion of other objects etc. in the way!

Message 12 of 12
jmayo-EE

"I am referring to a Civil 3D surface. I edit, and add to, it by using the 'Prospector' tab, but want to be able to isolate the surface, along with all of the objects etc. that contribute to it, so that I can see the surface (to edit it) without it being obstructed by the rest of my drawing."

If you maintain Autodesk best practices the surface is in a file all by itself, referenced into sheets and the data isolation should be as easy as unloading all xref's in the source file.

If all of the project data is in one file this become a huge PITA. In this case you will need to set up layer filters or layer states.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report