Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section view: Can I label the length of a link?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jeff_rivers
858 Views, 4 Replies

Section view: Can I label the length of a link?

I'm working on a retaining wall, and I've built an assembly out of links to get my face-of-wall.  It's tied to a proposed profile so I can control the height of the wall.  I need to maintain the exposed face at 8' or less. 

Is there a section view label or expression that will either:

Show me the total length of the face-of-wall link in each section view or show me the height of the top of the face-of-wall link above the outside end of the ETW link -- and be dynamic so it tracks as I rebuild my corridor?

I created an expression using 'Point 2 elevation minus Point 1 elevation" then made a section view label style that uses that expression, but it isn't dynamic.  I add the label and pick the upper and lower endpoint grips of the link as attachment points (and that's where the expression gets the Point 1 and Point 2 elevation info) and the label shows me the correct length of the link. 

But if I edit my profile or assembly and rebuild my corridor and the link length changes, the label doesn't stay attached to the link.  As my corridor changes, the label won't update with the new elevation data.  I need to manually move the label grip and reattach it to the link endpoint to get the label to read the new elevation.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jeff_rivers

under sub assembly properties>> parameters tab you can add a link code: call it "LinkLen" or some other arbitrary name of your choosing. Then go to your code set on the settings tab of mr prospector right click and edit>> press the import codes button and select you newly coded subassembly>>> scroll down the list, change the style to your liking, then create a label style that palces the "Link Length" on the link.

Joe

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jeff_rivers
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thank you, Joe!

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 4 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Im happy that worked you Jeff. Don', forget to press the solution found for the benifit of others that viewed <G>

Joe

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Djerem_KH
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hello Joe,

I am having a problem with labeling link on C3D2012. I try to label the length of a link in my code style. My link is a former (poly)line. It does work but I end up with an additionnal label 0.0m at the end of my link. Do you know how to make that additionnal label disappear?

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report