Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECTION VIEW BUG (SP2)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mikeevans
176 Views, 2 Replies

SECTION VIEW BUG (SP2)

Ok so the first time you create cross sections from corridor models has been fixed somewhat (SP2) but there is a greater issue here.

I have a series of sections created from a corridor model but after adjusting the corridor levels the surfaces display correctly but the section bands are based on the previous surface. So I delete my views then resample and redraw the sections specifying the bandset but here’s where we get some problems.

Although the sample line group references the road1 surface, corridor and existing surface it shows all other surfaces within this dialogue. So I pick the road1 surface and existing in my bandset and draw the views.

Now I go to the views and the levels don’t match the displayed sections surfaces? It’s using a surface named Road1 – sl285 – road1 road1 surface – (7) (1190) which does not exist since rebuild instead it should be using (7)(1214)? Why does this keep changing the numbers?

How do I regenerate these bands without doing each section manually? It’s a real pain when you are constantly adjusting the models.

The only other way to do this is to completely remove all section views, section line groups, adjust the corridor frequencies to the required section spacing and re do the section view group and re-draw the section views. That does work fine but would be tiresome after every change, it seems to be a bug that after one group is added and views generated if the data changes at all it will not take on the new references what so ever due to the surface name constantly changing.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mikeevans
in reply to: mikeevans

I have a work around for this issue - and it does work (seemingly "Fingers crossed")

Create all the sample line groups as normal but once you have generated all the views isolate the layers C-SCTN and C-SCTN_FINISHED GRADE.

Multiple select all the profile views (you will only see some vertical lines and the proposed profile) for each individual road only, then on the properties dialogue select objects of type "Section".

Rename them all to the same name (Road1_Surface say) exit that and then when you edit a section view it only ever has one surface within and therefore always then generates the correct labels after re-builds.

Only way I have found which is quick but I'll be testing that one a few times so keep you all posted.
Message 3 of 3
mikeevans
in reply to: mikeevans

Hmm I see no one is posting back any comments to me, Why I don't know but here’s a further update on the matter.

Although renaming all the section view's proposed "section names" makes things simpler to edit it still won't correct the problem. I have tried (to no avail) to get the Section band settings to work correctly and they just won't.

Seemingly every time the corridor updates the "section profile" gets renamed and thus you have to re edit every cross sections band settings to the new changed surface name get the annotation to be correctly displayed. I suppose the best way is to only do the sections at the last moment of design before it’s built to eliminate any additional clicking.

I suspect that this is a problem some where with the definition of each profile entity but if someone out there could create some VBA code that would globally change all sections band profiles 1 and 2 to be of a certain (editable or specifiable) string then it will be fixed (until SP 2A anyway).

I have found that if you create some "dummy" sections then rename all proposed surface profiles to one logical name (proposed_road#) when you create the
"final" views elsewhere it has the surfaces named as your modification but will not update them all automatically as set in the "set section band box" so you still need to go through every section individually to set the band settings. Now that’s not too bad for one or two but 200 is a bit of a pain.

Please can anyone let me know if they are having the same problem and specifically if they have found a work around, as this is causing me a bit of not needed additional work and too much of a headache for a Friday.

I can’t help any further as I don’t fully understand VBA, and so can't write a function to eliminate this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report