Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section Data Band Properties

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
randyspear6624
801 Views, 10 Replies

Section Data Band Properties

I have an EG and FG data band for sections that works correctly. When i plot sections and it asks me specify surfaces 1 and 2, I choose my EG and FG surfaces appropriately. Then when the section displays the Section 1 and Section 2 are both set to the EG section of that specific sample line. If i change the section view properties manually it works but I'll have to do it individually for each section.

What am i doing wrong? Also, is it necessary to create a FG surface from the corridor or can i get the data band to read from the corridor section itself?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mstone
in reply to: randyspear6624

You are not doing anything wrong...I have the exact same issue. I posted a question here about 3 weeks ago and there were no answers. I have been trying to find a decent workaround that doesn't involve manually setting the surfaces for every section, but nothing yet.

As to your second question, I believe you have to create a FG section from the corridor to get the data band to read the elevation.
Message 3 of 11

I have been back and forth for that last few weeks with autodesk about this and am going nowhere fast.
I know it is possible because it works on the tutorial (that is their only suggestion). However, I have tried it on different computers and files for real projects and it doesn't seem to work.

There is nothing wrong with the dwt or the style because as stated above it works when setting it independently.

What is going on?
Message 4 of 11
mstone

I have also been continuing to work this issue. I finally decided to label the FG with a marked point on my assembly. I actually like that pretty well because you don't even have to create a surface to get the FG elevation. I can show you the procedures and styles I have used to do this in my template if you are interested.

But, I also just heard a rumor the other day that I haven't tested yet. I was told that if the surface is static, it will label all the FG elevations in the data band. In order to make the top or datum surface static, I guess you would have to export as an XML and bring it back into your drawing. Not sure if this works, but it might be worth a try. Even if it does work, I wouldn't want to make a static top/datum surface part of my normal workflow, which is why I am sticking with labeling the FG with a marked point on my assembly.

--Matt
Message 5 of 11

Good to know.

Yeah, a static corridor surface would be useless.

I've also read about people labeling the finished grade elevations in the Code set styles. I think i'll pursue this before trying the marked point label.

Thanks.
Message 6 of 11
mstone

Sorry, I probably didn't explain very well, but the marked point and Code set style you are talking about is the same thing. You have to use a marked point on your assembly. Then your cross section code set style has to reference that marked point. It works slick once you get your C3D users to add the marked point to the assembly as part of the workflow.

Message 7 of 11

Using the code set labels will only label the grade breaks or other corridor links, correct?
It won't put a labels at major offsets?
I can get EG and FG elevs to display exactly like a band using 2 section label styles (EG and FG) and have 2 label sets (1 for EG surface and the other for FG surface) with an increment set to my major offset value and anchored to the graph view bottom with a negative offset. (sounds complex but it is really easy-and user friendly)

The problem is showing cut and fill depths. There are no Section 1 or 2 properties for section labels. It is only available section view properties. Which we've determined is garbage.

If you can get EG and FG elevs at major offsets via code sets, you can also get the cut and fill depths too, i assume.
Message 8 of 11
mstone

Code sets can be used to put labels at any offset you want, as long as you mark the point on your assembly.

I may not be understanding your question exactly, but I have attached an image showing how I display the FG elevation in my cross sections. Hope this helps.

--Matt

Message 9 of 11
jaruugarte

Hi good afternoon

my problem is this, when I perform the cross sections and within the options came to Data bands in the properties section does not show me any data only surface data.

that may be causing this problem?

I would appreciate any input

Ing. Jaruzelsky Ugarte
Diseñador Vial
Mail: jaruugarte@hotmail.com
Tel:(505)5776-0506 – Claro
Message 10 of 11
balazs_istvan
in reply to: jaruugarte

Hi!

First create an empty data band, with the name of band only. Add this to the section vew without any offset. This will contain your labels later. Now comes the second step. Select your section viewm and edit the code set style of your corridor. In Code Set Style, you should find your corridor point listed under points (if not, import code by selecting it from the assembly). At the label style field, select "New Style" and create a text label. The anchor point of this text label should be the bottom of your section view. Now The text value could be code point elevation. Alighn your text to middle bottom, set rotation to 90. Finallly, the offset value for Y should be the Data band height/2. Now the label for the given corridor point will display at the middle of data band.

To prevent covering corridor points too close to each other, it is recommended to create another label style, but this time align the text to middle top, so it will appear at the opposite side. Alternatively make your label style such way, that if you move it, its appearance will stay the same (selectable at the second tab).

This works with C3d2018.

Message 11 of 11
jaruugarte
in reply to: balazs_istvan

Thanks 

Ing. Jaruzelsky Ugarte
Diseñador Vial
Mail: jaruugarte@hotmail.com
Tel:(505)5776-0506 – Claro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report