Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning the Drawing and Other Annoyances

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
brodour
21062 Views, 28 Replies

Scanning the Drawing and Other Annoyances

A few questions:

1. One of our drawings for a big civil project keeps 'scanning the drawing' between every command. You select a line, it scans. You copy by basepoint, it scans, you blink, it scans. What the heck does than mean exactly and how can I make it stop? It is slowing us down and annoying us to no end.

2. Is there a way to arrange the order in which layers plot precisely- something more exact than 'send to back'? And is there a way to lock those layers in that position for plotting only? I seem to recall that in Microstation J way back when you could drag your levels up and down the drop-down menu and the order they were in dictated the order they displayed and plotted on. very easy to make sure one level was 'above' or 'below' another.

3. While I'm thinking about Microstation, is there a way to match certain attributes but not others? In Microstation you could choose to match linetype, for example, but not color or thickness. Edited by: brodour on Oct 8, 2009 2:02 PM
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
ekhalkov
in reply to: brodour

I found this solution... it works.

Layers,
Go into layer manager and settings.It's one of those options
You can make this processing faster by disabling indication of used (non-empty) layers in the Layer Manager. Use the Settings icon (wrench) and uncheck the option "Indicate layers in use". Or reset the SHOWLAYERUSAGE variable.
Message 22 of 29
mthorne
in reply to: pizdryk

This is sort of tied to the slow response and the "scanning the drawing.." problem.  Each time I open the layer properties manager I get the "scanning the drawing.." message and it takes a while, but if the setting to "indicate layers in use" found within the layer settings window isn't selected then the layer properties manager opens much quicker.

Message 23 of 29
vandenoosterkamp
in reply to: mthorne

6 years ago this issue came up. By now 32GB memory and (little over a year ago) the fastest available I7 CPU wich is using an astonishing 12.5% of it's capacity for C3D and the issue still is not solved.

6 years and still no solution...

Only monopolists can get away with this and my God I praise the day when there's a better alternative with developpers that actually use th program themselves so they can see what's wrong.

Dear developpers: will this be solved before release 2020?

Message 24 of 29

Absolutely agree 100% with vandenoosterkan that this bug in AutoCAD needs to be fixed as a priority!

I have over 60 drawings in aUTOcad Civil 3D that I need to plot & every time I plot a sheet it takes well over 1 minute per sheet for

the "Scanning the drawing" routine to run befor the Plot Job Progress bar even appears.

I have tried all the suggested changes of setting Showlayerusage to 0, No layer filters etc. etc. all to no avail

HP Z230

16.0 GB ram

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1270 3.50GHz

Message 25 of 29
khalchin
in reply to: gregscolyer4692

If you have data links in your file this will also cause "scanning the drawing". My drawing was rescanning 5 excel data links and it was/is really bogging down my file. After looking through forums I finally discovered this when my drawing was autosaving and I saw the xrefs (excel data links) updating one at a time.

Message 26 of 29
infoSQN6R
in reply to: toyhonda86

Hey Guys 

I have just started to have this "scanning the drawing" issue could you explain a little more about the select all layers filter fix? i think i have followed it but still no joy, have purged the drawing also and have layer usage set to "0"

Message 27 of 29
vandenoosterkamp

@brodour wrote:
A few questions:

1. One of our drawings for a big civil project keeps 'scanning the drawing' between every command. You select a line, it scans. You copy by basepoint, it scans, you blink, it scans. What the heck does than mean exactly and how can I make it stop? It is slowing us down and annoying us to no end.

9 years and 3 months later. I just copied a tiny element from another drawing, switched back to my working drawing, pasted the tiny element using. ctrl+v and got treated to 'scanning the drawing'.

Just a thought dear autodesk: How about a complete halt on inventing new thingies and first fix stuff?

Message 28 of 29
Shaun-CityofKelso

Turning off "Apply layer filter to layer toolbar" checkbox in layer settings seemed to fix the issue for me when pasting from the clipboard. But only for a couple pastes... really odd.Layer filter to layer toolbar.PNG

Message 29 of 29
shane
in reply to: toyhonda86

That works. Thank, Adam! Select "All" and minimize. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report