Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Back

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bgillooly
303 Views, 3 Replies

Saving Back

Unless there is something that I don't know about, I feel Autodesk should provide an easy way to save drawings back to an earlier product release, like an online converter utility for clients etc... I understand that people need to be pushed to get newer products, however by not having an easy way to change a file, it really punishes those who do stay current and get each release. For many years now I find myself drafing in a current release of Civil3d to utilize the latest features that improve work flow, then having to waste a lot of time converting projects back to each clients file requirement. If people were able to not have to waste so much time converting files, Autodesk would find more people wanting to move forward and get each release. 

Is there something that we dont know about? Something out there that can convert a file back while maintaining functionality for the user? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AllenJessup
in reply to: bgillooly

@bgillooly wrote:

Is there something that we don't know about? Something out there that can convert a file back while maintaining functionality for the user? 

Mostly I use ExporttoAutoCAD[release] and then export a LandXML file. Not optimal but it's what we have.

If a client wants a fully functional previous release of Civil 3D or (shudder) LDD, you need to build the time that it will to do the conversion into your price.

Since the object structure in C3D changes with each release. Including the conversion to XML is probably as far as Autodesk will go. After all they would have to have 2013 to 2012, 2013 to 2011 .... 2008.. Then you'd nee 2012 to 2011 ... 2008 and so on.

But I'll agree it would be convenient.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: bgillooly

I would agree with Brian and I agree with Allen. The problem with Allen's theory is that the client for a surveyor is usually not anyone who has a clue about CAD and the work provided by the surveyor comes well before any other consultants are even selected. I really think that it would not be too much of a hit on Autodesk to provide a service that may converts only drawings within the same drawing version like , 2007-2009, 2010-2012, and so on.

Message 4 of 4
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

I was going to comment on the client part. But I realized I've mostly worked either for a Survey and Engineering shop or at a place we were specifying what format we wanted things in. I was envisioning a contract between an Engineering firm and a Surveying Firm where the Engineering firm wanted the work in an older format. I haven't see where a client requests a Survey without knowing what's going to be done with it.

As far as the conversion within drawing releases. I'd certainly like to see it. But drawing release doesn't matter with Civil objects. They differ from year to year. Maybe we could hope that some ambitious 3rd party developer would be wiling to take on that challenge.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report