Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save customized files before installing SP1

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
richard
240 Views, 4 Replies

save customized files before installing SP1

I would like to install SP-1 on C3D 2012. The download page tells me to save all customized files before installing the service pack. What items are customized? and where should I save them? Are the workspaces saved in the drawing? I have mostly customized Font files (I can find and save them), but I don't know where the Profile styles and Profile View styles, Contour and Surface Styles are saved so that I can get them to copy somewhere else.

I know this is very basic but I am a recent convert from LDT to C3D. The file selection is daunting, and doesn't make a lot of sense to the un-initiated. Can any one help?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: richard

Hi,

>> What items are customized? and where should I save them?

We can't know what you have customized 😉

>> Are the workspaces saved in the drawing?

No, they are saved in the main-CUIX file.

>> but I don't know where the Profile styles and Profile View styles, Contour and Surface Styles are saved

These are saved in the drawing. If you created an own template you should backup this (or these) template(s).

Globally: For Win7 I'm used to backup my C:\Users\myLoginName directory (at least the Civil3D-specific directories), not forgetting that there are hidden/system folder included, so you should turn on the display of hidden files/directories in your Windows-Explorer options.

That's a tip, if you have modified files anywhere else, it's up to you to backup them also.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
richard
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred:

I'm using XP serv. pack 3. The files are under Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Support. I think I can get all the ones I customized-maybe just the whole file. I didn't know the file extension was cuix. A search of .cui didn't work. There are also files of the same in a directory under program Files\autodesk\Autocad Civil 3D\Support and under UserDataCache\Support. Do I need to copy these files elsewhere also?

Richard

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: richard

Hi,

>> There are also files of the same in a directory under program Files\autodesk\Autocad Civil 3D\Support and

>> under UserDataCache\Support. Do I need to copy these files elsewhere also?

Look at the times/dates the files have, if the dates are older than your customization (or oder than/equel to installation date) you don't have the save.

The UserDataCache folder is not customized (normally), it's the template used when a new user logs in.

Be also careful, there are more directories under the "Documents and Settings":

C:\Documents and Settings\__username__\local settings\application data\Autodesk\....

==>but please don't mind me if that aren't the correct words used because in my German XP that are German names used for these directories.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
richard
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred. I'll check the dates on all suspected files, I never thought of that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report