Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Line Volume Report and Suface Volume give different Quantities

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
seskinner
563 Views, 2 Replies

Sample Line Volume Report and Suface Volume give different Quantities

Hi.

I'm working with TIN surfaces, doing cut/fill comparisons for a surface mine.

My volume surface statistics show a cut volume of 5167.22 cy and fill volume of 8456.18 cy.

The sample line group volume report show cumulative cut of 5527.67 cy and fill of 8465.56 cy.

What could be some causes of this disparity. All reference surfaces are built from points and use a non-destructive boundary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
KirkNoonan
in reply to: seskinner

It is hard to say for sure without seeing the data, but I think that the accuracy of the sample line group method depends on the number of sample lines that you are using for the calculation. Try to increase the frequency of the sample lines and see if your numbers come more into line with each other. Is the proposed surface completely covered by the length of the alignment and the width of the sample lines? Does the proposed surface daylight fairly well into the existing? That could also cause some discrepancy.

Message 3 of 3
seskinner
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Try to increase the frequency of the sample lines and see if your numbers come more into line with each other.

I increased the sample lines from 50' to 5' and the accuracy improved greatly. This makes sense because C3D is only taking the values from each station and averaging them with the next.

Is the proposed surface completely covered by the length of the alignment and the width of the sample lines?

Yes.

Does the proposed surface daylight fairly well into the existing?

Yes.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report