Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAC- Marked Points

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
alec.tadman
274 Views, 4 Replies

SAC- Marked Points

Hi all.

I am creating a corridor with custom assemblies on two alignments. the alignments are not parallel and graded independently.

Between the two assemblies I would like to fill from one assembly to the other with a dynamic link. I can't do this as a target to featureline etc as it is within the same corridor. We have created the link with a target but this was done by creating a non-dynamic featureline from the corridor and using that as the target. This is obviously not great as far as keeping the corridor dnamic is concerned.

So I would like to customise a subassembly to allow it to target a marked point on an adjacent assembly.

Can anyone assit with how the SAC tools (Get marked poinit or set marked point etc.) can be used to do this. The help file is less than useful. I am still on 2012 and dont have access to the 2014 SAC yet but will do shortly.

Thanks.

Alec Tadman
MEng MIEAust
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
doni49
in reply to: alec.tadman

@alec.tadman wrote:

Hi all.

I am creating a corridor with custom assemblies on two alignments. the alignments are not parallel and graded independently.

Between the two assemblies I would like to fill from one assembly to the other with a dynamic link. I can't do this as a target to featureline etc as it is within the same corridor. We have created the link with a target but this was done by creating a non-dynamic featureline from the corridor and using that as the target. This is obviously not great as far as keeping the corridor dnamic is concerned.

So I would like to customise a subassembly to allow it to target a marked point on an adjacent assembly.

Can anyone assit with how the SAC tools (Get marked poinit or set marked point etc.) can be used to do this. The help file is less than useful. I am still on 2012 and dont have access to the 2014 SAC yet but will do shortly.

Thanks.

I haven't used marked points so I can't directly answer the question.  But you could put your two alignments in two separate corridors.  Then after the one is complete, extract the featureline (and maintain DynLink).  Then the other corridor can target this link.

Just because you CAN put both alignments in one corridor doesn't meant you HAVE to do so.

EDIT:  I have to wonder if you could even do this with MPs -- how would the assembly know what part of the assembly in the adjacent alignment to target?   There would have to be some way to correlate the stations.

EIDT2:  If the reason for wanting them in one corridor is to have one surface, go ahead and create two corridors each with its own surface (both using a No Display style) and then create a third surface that pastes both of these together.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 5
alec.tadman
in reply to: doni49

Thanks Don.

The reason for modelling it together is to have a dynamic and combined model we can do QTO on and use for visualisation.

Other than getting this missing link dynamic, it has worked really well.

We have considered using a few other methods including the alignment one but Marked points are there and should work so that is what I am seeking an answer about.

Cheers
Alec Tadman
MEng MIEAust
Message 4 of 5
alec.tadman

Ok it looks like marked points probably wont do what I am looking for.

As this is within a corridor but on different assemblies, marking the point wont work.

For the moment we are just using a featureline draped on the relevant surface so it can stay live by re-draping on the surface but will need to be replaced if horizontal geometry changes.

Alec Tadman
MEng MIEAust
Message 5 of 5
doni49

@alec.tadman wrote:

The reason for modelling it together is to have a dynamic and combined model we can do QTO on and use for visualisation.

EDIT:  I don't know what happened to my post.  EVERYTHING I typed was replace with the letter 'Y'.

Anyway, I'll try again:

Having each alignment in a separate corridor each with its own surface and then pasting them both into a third surface should allow for this.  I'd have to dig in to it further to be sure and I don't have time right now.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report