Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAC- Marked Points

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
klugb
4471 Views, 13 Replies

SAC- Marked Points

Has anyone used marked points much with the subassembly composer?

It appears to work good for "static" geometry. By static, I mean points & links that are always built.

I have a retaining wall subassembly that builds one block at a time then checks the depth to see if it needs more. Once it reaches it's target I assigned a marked point code. The geometry is very fluid in the sense that the number of blocks vary.

When I try to use it neither one of the "link to marked point" subassemblies work.

Any one else used marked points and geometry that is NOT static?

Thanks

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Christian_Bauer
in reply to: klugb

Just to break the ice, can you share your Subassembly to look at it?

Christian Bauer
Message 3 of 14
klugb
in reply to: Christian_Bauer

Sure, It might be crude but it's effective.

The first thing it does is compare the depth at the starting point against the "MinDepth" parameter to see if you want a wall. If not, it jumps over and creates a simple Cut/Fill slope.

If it does trigger the wall then it creates a point and labels it "WallStart" then checks if it's Cut or fill. Then creates the first block and checks depth to see if it needs another block. If not, it creates the slope behind the wall, labels the "WallEnd" code and is SUPPOSE TO create THE MARK POINT.

If it needs another block then it sets the batter offset based on input parameters and then creates the second block and starts the process all over again.

Side note to ADSK: This is where we could really use a "do loop" 🙂

I have it setup to build UP TO 14 blocks right now.

I have only added the "Marked Point" feature to the first 3 blocks in Cut and Fill for testing so make sure you are in that height range when testing.

You will also see that you need to set the wall target in the corridor. That is because there are times we have one wall targeting existing ground and other walls might be targeting a proposed surface (pond for example).

The default settings are for a keystone standard block unit.

Thanks

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 4 of 14
klugb
in reply to: Christian_Bauer

Christian,

Any luck on the marked point issue?

Thanks

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 5 of 14
KMercier_C3D

I have also been unable to get a set mark point generated in SAC to work properly in Civil 3D. 

I did also clean up the logic on your subassembly, see attached (was trying to figure out if something else was causing the mark point to not work). 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 14
klugb
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Kati,

Thanks for verifying the marked point issue isn't just something I'm doing wrong.

Your coding is way cleaner then mine, THANK YOU!

It's nice to see your thought process in the coding, even though I didn't know you could use some of those conditions.

As you can tell, I'm a rookie with programming.

Thanks Again,

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 7 of 14
KMercier_C3D

Bruce- 

Glad to have given you a different perspective on code set up. There are often so many different ways to approach the same problem. As long as the logic makes sense to the person generating it (or the person who has to debug it or change it later) then that is all that matters. 

If you (or any others reading this post) are going to be at AU2011 I would hope you would consider signing up for my lecture on SAC! 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 8 of 14
klugb
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

I am going and had already signed up for your class before I even knew about your mad programming skills Smiley Surprised

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 9 of 14
david.zavislan

One thing that I have found with custom subassemblies is that you need to use the same point number at the location where you will be attaching other subassemblies.  So the point number of the location in layout mode needs to be the same point number in each possible condition of the subassembly.

An example of this is a subassembly that changes shape based on cut and fill.  In order to attach daylight, or marked point to the outermost point of the subassembly, the 'connection' point was assigned point number P12 in both instances.

Oaxaca-4.jpg

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 10 of 14
klugb
in reply to: david.zavislan

How did you do that? Was that using the subassembly composer?

I get an error when trying to use the same number over again.

"Point number already in use, change to "XX" ?

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 11 of 14
Civil3DReminders

As long as the point number is not used in the same branch it can be used again. If the branch already has the point number then it can't be assigned again. It sounds like your point is in the same branch already, so it can't be used again.

So to use the same point number you'd have to have a decision point (or switch) which would create branches to use numbers over again.

Christopher

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/

Message 12 of 14
david.zavislan

My subassembly has a cut/fill condition.  Since it can't be in cut and fill at the same time, you can use the same point number once on each side of the condition. 

I think for your block wall, you need to arrange it so that the last block drawn always has the same point codes, instead of adding new blocks after it as the wall gets taller.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 13 of 14

It appears that in order to get the Marked Point to work the code needs to be all CAPS, any lower case letter makes it fail. So BLAH will work bLaH will not work.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 14 of 14
ebo134

Hi every one

Just enter the point name in Capital (Upper case) letters in the point name field of GetMarkPoint in SAC

ESOL Engineering Bureau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report