Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SA Defaults: Some not working.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
doni49
354 Views, 9 Replies

SA Defaults: Some not working.

I created a sub-assembly using SAC (2012).  It has a number of default settings.  Among them is of course "Side".

I have the default Side set to Right.  Yet when I place the SA in my model (when I'm first attaching it to my Assembly), the default is ALWAYS Left.

In addition, because this SA will almost always be used in Fill condition, I'd like the Assembly to show it as though it IS in fill.  But it shows as though it's in Cut.

In SAC, I had the surface target set to -10.  I pretty much expected it to show as though it were in Fill.  But it's not.

Other than these two issues, I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.  Granted they are small issues, but I'd really like to get these issues fixed too before I offer it up for inclusion in our Standard Boat Ramp Assembly.

The following screen shot shows what it looks like when I'm placing it on my assembly.  It's attached to my cursor and it's expecting me to pick the assembly.

SAC_SA_Placement.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
fcernst
in reply to: doni49

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing with the Side parameter on one of my SA's. It is coded as Right and comes in as Left in the Civil 3D environment.

I am also experiencing a Parameter that is coded solely as an  Output Parameter in SAC, showing up as both an Output Parameter and an Input Parameter when brought into the Civil 3D environment.

There's definitely some quirky things going on in SAC.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 10
doni49
in reply to: fcernst

The really sad part about it is that it WAS was working right in a previous version.  Then while I was tweaking it to get it where I wanted it, I changed it to Left and changed the SurfaceTarget to a POSITIVE value.  Because I wanted to preview what it would look like in cut condition and what hit would do on the left side.

But to AFIK, I never imported it into C3D while it was set like that.  I'm pretty sure it's ALWAYS been set Right and the surface target has always been negative 5.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I HATE SOFTWARE BUGS!  Oh well.

If anyone can think of a solution, I'd love to hear it.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 10
KMercier_C3D

In regards to your cut/fill issue, when you are in SAC and switch the Preview pane to Layout mode what does it look like? This should match what it looks like when it is attached as a subassmbly to an assembly in Civil 3D. 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 5 of 10
doni49
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Here you go.  I hadn't closed SAC yet so this is EXACTLY what it looked like the last time I saved the pkt file.

And after saving it, I imported it in to C3D.  You can see in the screen shot above what it looks like when I click it from the tool pallette.

SAC_Preview.png

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 10
KMercier_C3D

That's Roadway mode since it shows the targets. Can you screenshot Layout mode (use dropdown at top).

AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 7 of 10
doni49

!!!!

You hit it out of the park there.  So WHY does it show differently here?  And how can I get it to show correctly? 

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 10
KMercier_C3D

Some of the Points have specific Properties listed under Miscellaneous for how to be drawn in Layout Mode. I'd check those first. 

Message 9 of 10
doni49
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

So just what is the purpose of Layout vs Roadway mode?

NOTE:  The second problem seems to be fixed.  It still defaults to the left side.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 10
KMercier_C3D

It allows you to see how it would model in Roadway mode and how it would layout in an assembly in Layout mode. I usually design in Roadway mode and do a last check in Layout mode before saving to import to make sure if there are any defaults I want to change.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report