Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running an offset along Corridor Surface-derived profile

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
T_Bernhard
348 Views, 10 Replies

Running an offset along Corridor Surface-derived profile

Hi all,

Has anyone here had an issue running an assembly offset along a static Corridor Surface-derived profile? I don't know if that's my problem at present, I'm just trying to eliminate posssibilities.

My scenario: I'm trying to run two lanes around either side of an island, a little like an island in the middle of a cul-de-sac but one lane continues on beyond and the island shape isn't exactly as offset of the EOB alignment. Thus, I need an offset to make the corridor sections turn and correctly define the island.

However, the lane crossfall defines the elevation of the edge of island, so I've built the corridor with just a lane to the island edge alignment and extracted the profile from the corridor surface. Having then set the profile's update factor to "static", I then re-enter the Corridor Properties dialog and try to apply to the alignment offset the appropriate alignment and the new static profile. Result: the corridor builds (as in the blue progress bar down the bottom flicks through to 100% for each region), then Civil 3D hangs without displaying the newly built corridor.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in anticipation,
Trevor
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
T_Bernhard
in reply to: T_Bernhard

As a footnote to that, I've got the drawing now in a condition wherefrom I can consistently cause it to hang upon applying the profile to the assembly offset. If there's any Deskers out there or those of similar ilk are interested in having a look (because this is hanging, there's no CER's going out on this error), just ask and I'll email it to you.

Neither AUDIT nor Recover found anything to fix.

Trevor
Message 3 of 11
nzeeben

I'm a sucker. On my way to bed. I will look int he morning though.
Nick
wrote in message news:5265771@discussion.autodesk.com...
As a footnote to that, I've got the drawing now in a condition wherefrom I
can consistently cause it to hang upon applying the profile to the assembly
offset. If there's any Deskers out there or those of similar ilk are
interested in having a look (because this is hanging, there's no CER's going
out on this error), just ask and I'll email it to you.

Neither AUDIT nor Recover found anything to fix.

Trevor
Message 4 of 11
T_Bernhard

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into 🙂 I found a workaround, but it's still a fairly major issue IMO.

Nick, the last few emails I've sent you all seem to have bounced. You're still nick.zeeben at eng-eff right? You guys got email server issues? Or am I on the ignore list? 🙂

Trevor

Update: Nick, it looks like your email system thinks my IP address probably belongs to a spammer (the gall!). You got another address I can send to? Message was edited by: T_Bernhard
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

nick.zeeben over at civil3d.com should fire off.

Our host was experiencing web and e-mail server issues yesterday PM. I'm
hoping they're resolved this morning.

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Civil 3D 2007
XP Tablet, SP2, 2GHz, 2G
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Blame it on the new blogger over there. 🙂

Murph
--
http://mappingitout.blogspot.com/

<"James Wedding" > wrote...
Message 7 of 11
T_Bernhard

Thanks James, I've fired it off to there, we'll see how it goes.

Trevor
Message 8 of 11
T_Bernhard

Nope, just got another error message from the mail server, not the "Dynamic IP" message that I was given before though. Any other ideas, James, Nick?

Trevor
Message 9 of 11
nzeeben

you can try my gmail zeeben at
wrote in message news:5267244@discussion.autodesk.com...
Nope, just got another error message from the mail server, not the "Dynamic
IP" message that I was given before though. Any other ideas, James, Nick?

Trevor
Message 10 of 11
T_Bernhard

Sent. Let me know how you go...

Trevor
Message 11 of 11
T_Bernhard

Update: Due to the talents of Nick Zeeben, it's been discovered that my particular issue was due to the Corridor Surface not being "right". I'm not sure how it wasn't right, but I've replicated the error at several stages of the process by doing the following:
1) Create a Corridor Surface with an abbreviated assembly that only goes as far as the alignment that the proposed offset will be attached to (do NOT have an offset in this assembly);
2) Create a static Profile from the Corridor Surface;
3) Add the offset to the assembly, either by completing the first assembly or creating a new one with an offset (so that the first is still available if desired);
4) Replace the abbreviated assembly with the full assembly (the one with the offset) in the Corridor parameters such that the offset runs along the chosen alignment and the Profile created in step 2. Hit OK.
The Corridor will then build, but the Corridor Surface will cause Civil 3D to hang.

TO AVOID THIS, uncheck the surface tick box (in the Surface tab) at the start of step 4 so that the surface will not regenerate on this first Build with the new assembly; Civil 3D will then be comfortable. (Saving at this point is a good idea.) A subsequent Build, with the surface box ticked, will then be fine (in my experience).

Hope this helps someone else out there. Thanks again to Nick.

Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report