Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rule applies to pipe only runs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Hidden_Brain
1247 Views, 5 Replies

Rule applies to pipe only runs

i searched these forums but did not find an answer on this. I have a bunch of pipes which are flagged with a warning called "Rule applies to pipe only runs". for these pipes, the pipe proterties window will not report the min and max cover. the pipe rule i have currently set is a "pipe to pipe match" with match location as invert and drop value as zero, and a cover only rule with min cover 2' and max cover 15'. the structure rule i have set has "sump depth" of zero, and a "pipe drop across structure" set as invert reference and a drop value of zero.

can someone please shed some light into this message?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

30 views and no replies! I have a habit of asking very stupid questions, was this one of them?

Message 3 of 6
Jeff_M

From the Help on Pipe Rules, so I guess the warning is telling you that you need a different rule:

Pipe To Pipe Match Rule

This rule governs how a pipe elevation is determined in a pipe network that contains only pipes (no structures), and or when a pipe is inserted onto an existing pipe to break the pipe.

This rule applies only during the following conditions:

• Creating a pipe network that has pipes only (no structures)
  • Breaking into an existing pipe with another pipe
  • Connecting a pipe to a null structure (pipe to pipe connection with no structure)
  • Connecting a pipe to an existing pipe end

This rule manages conditions so that only continuous runs of pipe are created as typically expected. In pipe networks where the pipe size is constant, pipes connected to other pipes must to match end to end. In pipe networks where pipe sizes change, the point where pipes match may change, depending on the type of system. For example, in pressure systems, it may be typical to match the pipe centerline. In gravity systems, it may be typical to match the crowns of the pipes.

This rule also incorporates a drop value for cases where a pipe-to-pipe connection requires a drop amount.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 6
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Jeff_M

i think i understand what you said jeff, but in my case, i have hundreds of structures connected by pipes. why am i seeing this warning then?

this warning is not earth shattering, but when i am looking at the pipes in tabular view, i want to see the red cross marks on those which violate a rule (cover or slope or so). due to this warning, the software flags a bunch of pipes which otherwise do not have any issues (or so i think :-))

Message 5 of 6
Jeff_M

You have structures, therefor you cannot appply a rule intended for pipes with no structures. Well, you can apply it but you will be greeted wityh that friendly message you don't want to see. Remove this rule from the set of rules applied to these pipes.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 6

I noticed that you applied a "PIPE TO PIPE MATCH" rule. This rule is specific for networks without structures and that was the cause of the program warning. If you just remove it, you'll not get any other warning.

Maybe somebody will read my comment and be happy that a brazilian guy 5 years later decided to answer the question and it actualy helped. 😃

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report