Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rounding of values

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
watconeng
3456 Views, 12 Replies

Rounding of values

For Example

C3D 2013

1.55 in C3D rounds to 1.5

in every other program it rounds to 1.6

now 1.551 rounds to 1.6

and 1.549 rounds to 1.5

is there a way to make it round 1.55 up like normal rounding

in everything else I've tried?

No bigge for me, I have a tech asking me this.

Suggestions?

TIA,

Bo

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: watconeng

Bo,

Depending on what it is the rounding is being applied to go to:

Settings Tab of Toolspace>Rt. Click on Drawing Name>Drawing Settings>Ambient Settings Tab>

Property, Elevation Area Volume etc. There's a setting for "Rounding", per category, set them to "round normal". 

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 13
sboon
in reply to: Jay_B

Most of us probably learned the "round half up" method in elementary school, where values ending in 5 are always rounded up.  This method creates a bias in your calculations because values which appear to be exactly on the halfway point always get pushed to one direction.  The other method which has become popular more recently is the "round half to even" rule, where numbers ending in 5 round up or down to the nearest even value.  Theoretically this removes the bias.

From the help file.

Rounding

Specifies how numbers are rounded up or down to the number of decimal places specified in Precision:

• Round Normal: If the last displayable digit is even, and the next digit is exactly 5, the program rounds down. If the last displayable digit is odd, and the next digit is exactly 5, the program rounds up. An input value of 100.12345 with precision of 4 would be displayed as 100.1234.  If the next digit after the last displayable digit is greater than 5, the program rounds up. If the next digit after the last displayable digit is less than 5, the program rounds down.

Note - AutoCAD is limited to 8 displayed decimal places. However, the actual precision beyond the display capability will still effect rounding. For example, 25.12500000001 would round to 25.13 with two place precision labeling.

• Round Up: Numbers are always rounded up. The value 100.12345 with precision of 4 would be 100.1235 and with precision 2 would be 100.13

• Truncate: Numbers are limited to the specified number of decimal places without rounding. The value 100.12345 with precision of 4 would be 100.1234 and with precision 2 would be 100.12
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 13
mpittsFBB2S
in reply to: sboon

Still an issue in C3D 2017. 

A municipality that marked up a submitted plat has noted a discrepancy between our lot closure document and the curve table.

Here is the Parcel Properties - Notice the length of the curve in Segment 3

15092 - 1.JPG

and here is the same curve in the Curve Table in the drawing - both are automatically generated.

15092 - 2.JPG

What I would expect to see is the Table reflect the length rounded to 2 places as 19.56'.

The white multi-leader is to point out to any future person that an overlay will exist that has a text mask to make sure that the Table and the Parcel Properties that was used to generate lot closures match.

It is a crappy way to address the issue. The rounding is set to normal.  If I change to round up, then I have many more curve length values that would not match.  As it is, right now I only have 3 that I have to fudge for appearances sake.

If anyone has a solution I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Marty.

Message 5 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: mpittsFBB2S

What does the mapcheck look like if you change the precision to match the precision used in the table? If the values then match, that would solve the problem.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 13
mpittsFBB2S
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff,

You are correct.  I changed the drawing properties to show length at 2 places and it does round the parcel properties down to be consistent with the parcel closure report.

Thanks!

This solves the differences in reporting, but C3D should consistently report numbers no matter the significant digits shown.

Marty.

Message 7 of 13
Dexterel
in reply to: mpittsFBB2S

I thing the rounding is correct.
your value is probably 1.549 and gets rounded as below.
Message 8 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Jeff_M

This is a big issue for surveys and as you know it has exisited since the begining. Our big issue is getting metes and bounds to sum correctly and the round half up is a cr_p shoot to remove the bias just as rounding normal would be.

Personally I wish we could select a label and change the rounding method with a right-click menu or ribbon switch. No rounding, round normal, round up and round down. Maybe it would be better to asssign this property to the segment vs the label for reporting....

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
bo.martin
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You can easily create a style that Rounds the direction you want.

Then change the style of the label.

Message 10 of 13
urodriguezF8JWL
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I agree there should be a right click to change the rounding at least.

Message 11 of 13

There is a right click that allows you to change the rounding. Select the label, right click, Edit Label Text, select the piece you want to change the rounding for, change the rounding, hit the silly little unlabeled white arrow, hit OK.

It's not quite as simple as you want but it gets you what you need (I think).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 12 of 13

Thanks for the tip. There is still the problem of having it update in a table the table does not update to match the line or curve. I only want to change the rounding in the table and it wont let me unless I change it for all in the table.
Message 13 of 13

That's a very valid point that I don't have a solution for.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report