Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roundabout Approach Leg Modifications

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
PBriedis
1115 Views, 3 Replies

Roundabout Approach Leg Modifications

Howdy all

I am using the roundabout design tool as the first step in developing the 2D design of a roundabout. I am having some trouble getting the defection path radii I need in order for the roundabout design to progress to the next step, however this can only be achieved if I can alter the alignment of the approach legs.

The default setting for the roundabout tool/wizard is for all alignment legs to intersect at the centre point of the roundabout - something which does not readily allow the deflection radii to be met even remotely (in this case and others)

Whenever I try and realign the alignment/approach leg and run the design wizard again (in the hope the other kerb alignments will realign to match), it jumps back to the initial alignment pointing to the centre point. Refer attached screen shots.

Of course designing the roundabout in the traditional way is always the sensible alternative to achieve the correct layout & deflection, however if this function exists it would be handy to speed up the initial design process.

Any assistance please

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: PBriedis

Jim, you have found the reason that I have never used this tool.

Roundabout design in the UK particularly is an art and I have never designed without having the main alignments offset from the centre as this assists in obtaining adequate deflections.

I advise that you just either create manually or you create the main design using the tool then export & import landxml then modify to suit. Realistically I have found that to just manually design is faster.

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 4
PBriedis
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks Mike. Yes the roundabout design is an art form and we are pulling our hair out designing from scratch - but thats what its all about.

Although I think it has a long way to go, I will put this on the wish list for future C3D releases to assist in the process.

Jim

Message 4 of 4
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: PBriedis

Horizontally the design process may be easier in the future.

Savoy (now part of AutoDesk) have a package for roundabout design which does horizontals based on UK standards (and possibly other varients) and interfaces with Arcady. Gets the information for the flare length, entry & exit widths directly on  the fly.

I have used this version a couple of year ago and it worked very well.

Does not as far as I am aware do corridors yet.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report