Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotation - Decimal Degrees to DMS

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rkmin
12375 Views, 7 Replies

Rotation - Decimal Degrees to DMS

I would like to rotate a line using a specific angle in DMS.  But looks like Civil 3D 2012 wants me to input the angle in Decimal Degrees. 

On the command line, I typed in "UNITS" and made sure that everything said Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

I went to Edit Drawing Settings, and changed the Units and Zones to "Degrees".

Is there someplace else that I need to change a setting? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmin

I don't think we can do that RK. I think your gonna have to make construction lines and rotate using a reference.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
dgordon

rkmin,

your question struck me as odd.   So i tried the rotate command on a line.   The program does not specific what method of input it is looking for.

if you type in 45d15'37"  it will work

if you type in 45.55555 it will work

if you use a transparent command to enter it graphically it will work.

also if you want to draw a line a specific angle dist or bearing distance there is a transparent command for that also.

Don't get bogged down by the little things.

Dan

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

...although I would love to be proven wrong...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
rkmin

It just doesn't make sense to me that I can change some settings to DMS and yet certain commands are in Decimal Degrees.  That's just strange. It's like changing the Units to FEET and yet it displays distances in Meters.  

When I want to rotate a line by 13d17'52", i type in 13.1752 on the command line.  I type in bearings that way and I figured, I can type in angles that way also since I changed the settings to DMS, or so I thought.

Well, it didn't work so I have to change it instead to 13.2978 which is the Decimal Degrees equivalent.  

Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M

As dgordon pointed out, if you enter 13d17'52" at the rotation angle prompt, it will do as you want. Rotate is a core Autocad command, which has no knowledge of Civil3D settings (it would be nice if the core commands used the same settings, but they do not). 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Jeff_M

Dan and Jeff thanks. I did not know you could type that syntax in for core commands.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
rkmin
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks for the help you guys. I was really hoping that it was just a settings issue but no big deal, at least i can still type it in without having to convert it every time.  

Much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report