Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating Survey Points

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
juan.torres
1432 Views, 6 Replies

Rotating Survey Points

I had an issue where I dropped points into my drawing for a survey and they weren't at the distance compared to recorded plat. I have checked the points mathematically, and they were dead on. A coworker suggested that I WBLOCK the points I was working with that way I don't move single points out of place. I disaggreed, because the way i move points is I use the TOOLSPACE and move them as a group. So what I did was to drop the points again and now they were dead on the second time. I don't like turning points into a block due to the fact that it messes up my drawing.

Suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: juan.torres

Hello Juan,

If you could give details on what you are doing, the specific steps you're using, and what you hope to accomplish, we will be able to help. In your message it's hard to decipher what it is you're asking.

For example, you said "I had an issue where I dropped points into my drawing for a survey..." What Civil 3D steps are you using to "drop" points? That is a term you might use within your office, but I'm sure most of us who frequent this discussion area don't know exactly what it means.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
juan.torres
in reply to: tcorey

>INSERT

>POINTS FROM FILE

>ADD FILES

>SELECT FILE

>SELECTED CORRESPONDING FORMAT (PNEZD)

> THEN ADDED TO GROUP

THE SURVEY WAS DONE CONVENTIONALLY.
What the other CAD Tech is telling me that in order to move points, I need to WBLOCK.

They way I move points is.....

>Toolspace Tab

>Right Click Point Group

>Select

> Move or Align to destination (i.e. Found Iron Rod, Centerline RR Spikes)

note: OSNAPZ -1 is used

Thanks for your reply

Message 4 of 7
_Hathaway

While that method will allow you to 'move' survey points. I would question 'moving' points at all. It seems that that raw survey data should be updated to the represent the correct data. What was the cause of the bad survey points?

I am not sure how Civil3d point data reacts when Wblocked. We used to do that on occasion in LDD but have never done that in Civil3d.

Message 5 of 7
juan.torres
in reply to: _Hathaway

As I have mentioned that the survey was done conventionally, so I do need to align points to corresponding corners and/or intersections.

C3D is a lot different from LDD. I know a lot of people that do WBLOCK survey points.

My main concern: is it necessary in C3D 2012, to WBLOCK before you begin the rotation?

(does it affect the distance between each point, compared to raw data?)

(does it affect elevation [osnapz-1 is used])

The way I've always done it was by selecting group from toolspace and ALIGN / MOVE/ ROTATE TO corresponding corners and/or intersections. I don't think it affects the distance between each point.

Message 6 of 7
tcorey

Now that I know what you're doing:

Yes, there's nothing wrong with moving and rotating cogo points. There is no reason to wblock them out to another drawing first, unless you're trying to keep an old copy and a new copy.

You said, "A coworker suggested that I WBLOCK the points I was working with that way I don't move single points out of place. " A simple way to avoid that is to keep your points locked until you need to move and rotate and then lock them again after these operations.

Move command won't affect elevations unless you are picking OSNAP points that are of different z value. Be careful of that.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 7
juan.torres
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report