Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating a surface with Survey Figures

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
surveyor8120
991 Views, 5 Replies

Rotating a surface with Survey Figures

I am trying to rotate a surface along with my drawing entities.

I have unlock my points from survey database.

Everything is rotating except for my survey figures.

Is there a way to unlock the survey figures from survey database, so that I can rotate them with everything else.

Anthony Robinson, PLS, CFEDS
CRW Engineering Group, LLC
Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7 Prof. x64 SP1
Dell Workstation
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
870 @ 2.93GHz
16.00 GB RAM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I would back up and use the Transformation Tab. It does take a little time to figure out, but once you do it’s the way to go. Go to this discussion and hit the links. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Coordinate-Transformations-Redux/m-p/2624342/highligh...

You could use the Translate Survey Database (right click on your database) as a second option. Both of these will take everything in the database.  

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 6
BrianHailey
in reply to: surveyor8120

You could also try to translate your survey database. That should put all the data at the correct location.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 6
surveyor8120

Thanks for the info.  I know I can translate the survey database. 

The problem is that I have multiple drawings referencing the survey database.  I have all ready translated the survey database with one of the other drawings.

We seperate our topobase and our surface into two drawings, because of the survey figures issues with linetype generation.

So we have a seperate drawing to create the surface in and keep the survey figures intact and connected to the surface, then create a 3d shortcut to the surface to be used in other drawings.

It just happened in this project that we had to rotate the project and we did that by translating the survey database while it was connected to another drawing.

The surface drawing is a composite of actual survey data and other aerial data, so if i could just rotate the drawing and everything update auto, would be great, but the survey figures do not rotate with all the points and ect...  I was just curious and hope for a way to unlock the figures in the drawing like you do with points.

So since I could not find a way to do that I will take care of it removing figures and then rotate and reinsert figures from the translated survey database. and rebuild from there and redo some of the other edits made from making the composite of multiple data types.

Thanks again for the responses.

Anthony Robinson, PLS, CFEDS
CRW Engineering Group, LLC
Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7 Prof. x64 SP1
Dell Workstation
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
870 @ 2.93GHz
16.00 GB RAM
Message 5 of 6
jmayo-EE

You can also try to move/rotate the surface where you need.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

We do the same with two drawings. Once our surface and two drawings are made we immediately get rid of the survey figures. Survey figures have a purpose, but are just plain nasty. We have a lisp routine that flattens them and converts them to 2D Polylines with line type generation.

I suggest you take some time to look into the transformation tab. It does the same thing as the Translate Survey Database, but you can keep better track of the translation (if you have any) and the rotation. I stay away from the Translate Survey Database because there is no good way to keep track what is going on and you’re stuck once you use it. I think people are scared of the transformation tab because they think of it for only Grid systems, projections with scale factors and such. It can be used just simply for rotating and translating.

By using the transformation tab your data will come in the drawing translated and rotated (one or both). The survey database stays per the original fieldwork. This gives you the flexibility to still work in the survey database, and bring in more fieldwork or re-import. You can export points back to the crews each way as well.

You can see this in the drawing by editing your points and seeing the difference in the coordinate listing comparing the “Northing and Easting” to the “Grid Northing and Grid Easting”. We keep every job in state plane coords. If for some reason we need to stay in an original bearing set we use the transformation tab.

The big advantage here is all your data is still together and you’re not having to keep track of different objects and hoping you have everything moved and rotated consistently. Plus you can view the tab to always see what was done. Kind of a mini metadata sheet.

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report