Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rock Surface with Borehole logs

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3031 Views, 8 Replies

Rock Surface with Borehole logs

Hi all,

I have a geotechnical report that shows me the depth of the bedrocks. I am wondering if there's some way that C3D can use this information to generate a rock surface that I can compare to my rough grading surface.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There certainly is. You can save your report as a MS Access database and
use XDRef's in point groups. Take a look at the help file for this. Look
first for point group overrides. There is a link in there that talks about
External Data Refernces.

Matt
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Maybe try this:

I assume you have locations for these bore holes. See a point at the
elevation and location of each bore hole. Create a point group for these
points and add it to a new surface. Then use the volume utilities to get
the volume of this surface.

If you have a text file already you may be able to import this into your
drawing from the file.

Hopefully this may help.

--

Matt Sparks, P.E.
CAD Masters, Inc.
http://www.cadmasters.com
remove the "Please_Remove_This_Part_"
when replying to my email
Message 4 of 9
ekubaskie

If you want to generate a "rock" surface from depth data points, and end up with a rock surface that can be used for further volume calculations - yes, you can.

First, you have to have horizontal coordinates for the wells. create points at the well locations, with the bedrock depth as elevation - but positive (borehole at 10000,10000 with rock 8 ft down = point at 10000,10000,+8) and create a temporary surface from these points.

Second, create a volume surface using your temporary surface as base, and your existing ground surface as the comparison surface. All the values of this volume surface (and even contours if you display them) represent the interpolated bedrock elevations. In other words, it's a bedrock surface, but you can't USE it other than to display the contours.

Third, let's fix that. Set the surface style to display those contours at a fairly small interval, so you get a lot of contours. Explode the surface (twice) and you end up with contour polylines that you can use to create a new TIN surface, usable for cut/fill calculations against your grading surfaces to determine rock excavation.

Mathematically, this works, but you have to keep in mind that a great big assumption is made here - that bedrock depths make straight transitions from boring to boring. In the real world the bedrock could come nearly to the surface, or drop way down, between one boring and the next. Unless you have a pretty dense network of boreholes, I wouldn't use any calculations based on your bedrock surface without a page-long weasel clause.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Is there any way that C3D can interpolate each OG points against the closest 2 borholes to calculate its rock surface? this way the rock surface would be a lot more accurate than just a straight line across the boreholes.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

You could use the Kriging method for surface smoothing perhaps. But if that
name doesn't ring a bell, I wouldn't suggest it.
Not sure it would do what you're after anyway, but it's commonly used in
boring situations.
--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency Inc.
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
C3D/Vista/2GB
Message 7 of 9
ekubaskie

Hi James - You might remember when we talked about this just before last AU 2006... many thanks to you and Angel for helping me figure it out.

Joseph, if I understand your question correctly, the method I described will do this. For instance, if you have one borehole that indicates rock at 6 feet and another that indicates 3 feet, the final "rock" surface will be 4.5 feet below existing ground at a point halfway between the two boreholes.

How are your borings laid out? The method is great if you have a building site with scattered or gridded borings, but calls for a bit of fakery when the borings are at intervals on a centerline alignment.

But it's all a bit faked anyway, because we don't know what REALLY happens with the bedrock level between borings - we're just assuming a smooth depth transition.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hi

Not sure if it´s something like this your after.
If you have borehole data with x, y and z ( z value should be the depth to
the rock and as positive value ) , make a surface of those
call it for example " depht ". Now make a volume surface were base surfac is
" depth " and comparison model is your existing ground and you will get a
volume model with z values for the rock. If you would use the model for
sections and profiles you must create yet another surface " rock " and paste
your volume model into this. This is because you cant use a volume model in
sections and profiles.

skrev i meddelandet news:5709993@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there any way that C3D can interpolate each OG points against the closest
2 borholes to calculate its rock surface? this way the rock surface would be
a lot more accurate than just a straight line across the boreholes.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Tore Lindell:

Very good information.  Thanks.

Another way to use the new sub-surface is to make it a data reference and bring it into an other drawing.

This worked for me in C3D 2009.

Gerald Hammerling

PAT Office Lead (CAD Administrator) / Sr. Civil Designer

Niagara

Hatch LTd 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report